Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First,
Thank you for being patient with me as I have no real experience with mechanical issues.
Several months ago, I had noticed my focus (2006 ZX4) having somewhat of an acceleration issue. It would happen ever so often and gradually got more frequent/worse. I would begin to accelerate and notice that my foot would have the pedal almost to the floor with little actual acceleration. The RPMs would soar and the car would very slowly and awkwardly get to the desired speed. If I was on an incline, the car would essentially get stuck on the lower gears, like something was fighting the acceleration. If I removed my foot from accelerating, the car would slow down immediately and eventually come to a stop WITHOUT APPLYING THE BRAKES. When I did apply the brakes, they were very hard. I thought this was strange, but continued driving since it would not occur all the time. Eventually, my parking light began staying on though the parking brake was not engaged. Then the ABS light would come on and and off at low speeds. At one point, my car was hardly accelerating and I had to pull over to a mechanics. I'm pretty sure I got had, they sent me off with a new alternator and empty pockets, they had also recommended brake work so I stopped off a Just Brakes afterwards. At this point, the original mechanic had gotten the ABS and Parking brake lights to disappear but on my way to Just Brakes, the same issue of problems accelerating would occur.
At Just Brakes I was told that the issue was my brake hoses were corroded/ clogged up and holding the pressure of brakes which caused them to stay on. My breaks had also been squealing for a bit so I spent 400 to replace the hoses, pad and rotors and brake flush. The car drove better than usual but kept having the same issues intermittently. My gas mileage continues to be terrible and even when the car is traveling downhill ( foot off the brake and gas) , it will decelerate instead of speed up naturally. So I took it to another Just Brakes and told them to figure out why the issue is still happening. Mechanic said that it is one of two things: ABS sensor issue or contamination. He said when I first brought the car in both front wheels were locking up which rules out a caliper issue. He asked me to leave my car for a few days so he could drive it, get the brakes to lock up, and then cut lines to determine if its a sensor issue or master cylinder problem. Ultimately, he wasn't able to get the brakes to lock up so I am at square 1 with my car back and no real diagnosis as to the problem.
Ive been reading up on vacuum leaks (they said its not it), ABS issues, etc but it seems my brake problems are very interrelated. Could this issue have anything to do with a bad wheel bearing? My car was also shaking etc, so I had the wheels balanced and rotated and was informed of a bad right wheel.
Please, any information could help. Just Brakes said if it is a contamination issue, all of the rubber parts will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've had a similar experience before and it was the master cylinder. Basically the master cylinder was not accepting the brake fluid back quickly enough and causing the pads to depress gradually until they would lock on to the rotor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Focus and my front passenger brake is doing just what yours is doing - locking up and decelerating the vehicle, I've parked on an incline, with car out of gear (standard clutch) and not touching the brake or anything and it won't move (roll) did they ever figure out if yours was the ABS sensor or what, we removed the fuses for the ABS and it still locks up,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts