Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

I just bought a kona blue 2012 ford focus se with automatic transmission. I love the car but have a couple concerns! I am feeling alot of shudder/shaking when my car is crawling slowly or at idle. I get this feeling when my car is in lower gears as well. I am not sure if this is a compromise for better fuel efficiency or because of this new technology. I hear on the forums that it's just because you need to break it in however, some people are getting this problem still at 1500 miles. I would hate to find out later that my car is not working properly and have significant damage so I would like to get it resolved before the possible damage has been done. I have about 480 miles so far and my mpg is horrible. I currently get 21.7 to the gallon and according to fuelly.com I get the worst mpg out of 38 other 2012 focus owners. I am not heavy on the throttle nor do I live in a big metropolitan city. I don't know if my gauge is wrong but it is making me awfully curious why I'm getting less than everyone else? I just would like to get some of your opinions, comments, or resolutions. It would be much appreciated!

Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
My best guess in regards to the shuttering would be something to do with the AFDSO (aggressive fuel deceleration shutoff) that is standard in most of Ford's small vehicles and even some of the trucks now. Under rapid deceleration, it shuts off the fuel source to the engine to improve fuel economy. I believe the vehicle also has a neutral idle as well too, if I'm not mistaken, where the vehicle actually diesengages the drive gear when stopped or rolling without acceleration. So under very, very minimal acceleration, the vehicle would just be barely engaging the gears which may also contribute to the shuttering sensation.

Or I could very well be talking out of my rear! [bootyshak

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I am feeling alot of shudder/shaking when my car is crawling slowly or at idle. I have about 480 miles so far and my mpg is horrible.
Hi Ryan,

Wow, I can understand your concern at having the lowest fuel economy! You have heard correctly, the transmission is still learning, and will smooth out as it adapts to your shifting habits. I do recommend bringing your Focus in to the dealership to be inspected, as they will be the perfect first step in easing your concerns. Let me know when you schedule an appointment, and what they advise. If they are unable to resolve it, please let me know. Have a great holiday weekend!

~Natasha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts