Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my 4 speakers with aftermarket ones and couldn't find the appropriate color coding for the '05 ZX5, so guessed on the +'ve, -'ve.
What will this do if I got it backwards? (I have an aftermarket headunit (a Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP with 50W x 4), but no amp running these speakers.)
Is there any harm as it didn't seem to make a difference when I switched them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
you dont have to worry about any harm being done to the the system. it will play as it should without problems, however the thing you would have to worry about is, if your speakers are all in phase. a speaker moves forward when your positive and negative are hooked up correctly, the speaker will move back or "suck in" if its not hooked up correctly. when speakers are out of phase you will notice a decline of bass response and overall the music could sound very dull. a trick to putting in speakers and not knowing the wire colors is using a 9 -volt battery, with some wire leads attached to the positive and negative posts, and "pop" your factory speaker. just run the positive from the battery to one of the connectors on your speaker and then attach the negative to the other connector. when this happens if will make to cone jump either in or out. if the cone fired out, then positive and negative are correct. if the speaker fired in, then your positive and negative are reversed. now you can determine which wire is positive or negative off of the factory wiring by how they connected to the speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts