Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be porting my TB tomorrow or the next day because I'm cheap and like free mods. My question is this: Are there any paper gaskets that will need replacement? I know there is that reusable rubber gasket, but is that the only one? I'd like to get everything I need before I do it. Tonight I'm gonna buy some hose clamps and more epoxy...

·
Registered
560 Posts
hey i was wondering, can you take pic's of step by step instructions on how to port you TB, cause i want to do this too, cause i have no bread for the FC TB! anyways good luck with your porting

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not expecting a huge difference, but this should help. That damn bump needs to go before I get an intake. Plus, the SVT feels like its gonna fall on its face from idle...this should help.

If I can get my hands on a camera, I'll def take pics.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a camera in my possession. Barring no technical difficulties, I'll have some pics up when all is said and done.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that. I put the link of my picture in there, but when I posted the response, only the link showed up...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Porting is done, and its on the car...I'll get the pics up later when I sort them out and figure out how to get them up here.

Initial impressions: that whistling sound common with aftermarket intakes is gone. Replacing it is a blow-off valve type 'whoooosh' as soon as you blip the throttle. This is very noticeable if you rev the car quick at idle, so so noticeable when driving (after you shift that is). BTW, I currently have a stock intake.

Leaving idle, the car is more willing to pick up and go. The car still needs more torque, but this helps the problem a bit. No more feeling like its gonna fall on its face. The intake has a new sound to it while driving, too. It almost sounds a bit smoother, and is more pronounced. Not loud like an aftermarket intake, but louder than stock.

Under heavy acceleration, the car feels stronger and pulls nicely. The better throttle response does a world of difference for spirited driving. Now, the driver's input is more directly translated into motion.

The only thing I'm not too happy about is the way the revs hang when slowing to a stop. The car will idle at ~1500 RPM or so and then drop to a normal, lower idle after about a second. Nothing too major, but noticeable. Perhaps the car always did this, but I honestly can't say I noticed. Now that I changed something, I can tell....anyone else have this going on?

Overall, the mod gets a [thumb] from me. You can't beat free!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was already happening. I notice mine too. When I first drove the car it was very noticable. Now that I've driven it alot I don't even pay attention to it. Can't wait to see the pics of it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All I did was follow other's leads. Take TB off car, apply epoxy to outside of hump and allow to cure. I chose PC-7 epoxy because I've learned not to trust quick-cure epoxies, especially in high heat areas (this stuff is good until 200 degrees F). So, I had to let it cure overnight...

You can probably do the porting without removing the butterfly, but I chose to take mine out so I wouldn't damage it. Plus, as shown in the pics, the bolts attaching the butterfly to the shaft are longer and protrude into the air stream. They are solid bolts with hollow ends, which are crimped so as to protect against accidental ingestion. You won't be able to turn these out without damaging the shaft, so get a hacksaw and cut them down. Remove them and touch up any rough spots with a grinder and wire wheel.

After the plate is removed and the epoxy has cured you can go to town on porting the hump. Be careful though, if you go through the new expoxy you will have to apply more epoxy and let it cure. I found the best (safest) method was to dremel the hump down with a sanding wheel and then touch it up near the end with a file. Then, proceed to sand the bore smooth. Obviously this would be easier with a die grinder, but I didn't have access to one....but hey, whatever works for you.

Make sure you don't take too much off where the butterflymates to the bore. You don't want to create any excess clearance here. Just focus on the bump and you will be fine.

If you opted to remove the butterfly and alter the bolts, make sure you use some sort of thread lock on them. I'd had to see a perfectly good SVTF die for the sake of some extra throttle respsone. I used Loc-Tite (Red), which I've used in every engine I've built...I swear by this stuff.

If you are using the stock intake and you don't have the special clamp tool, you will have to purchase a new hose clamp to connect the intake boot to the throttle body. I got a 54-100 mm stainless clamp from Home Depot for a little over a buck and it worked well. It's a little long, but I planned it like that. My new hose clamp was wider than my stock one, so I used a utility knife to trim the rubber lip on the boot. Unless you do this, you risk pinching the boot because the clamp will be hard to line up. Naturally, if you are using an aftermarket intake like I will be soon (thanks Donille!), you won't have to do this.

That is pretty much it. Pretty straight-forward, but if you aren't a hand-on type of person or don't have much money to waste, have someone else do this...you can potentially cause problems. Such is the case with all mods though.

Now the pics:

I have them arranged in imagestation as a photoalbum, but when I link to that page, it just saves access forbidden....damn this is making me mad. does anyone know how to fix this? Maybe someone can host pics for me?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts