Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took of the throttlebody today, put epoxy on the top of it, and ported it (removing the lip in front of the blade). So, I get it back on, everything works fine, i just can't tll any difference.

I was sort of thinking that I would notice more throttle response in the lower-middle rpm range, but I guess not.

What is everyone else's experience with this?

·
Registered
672 Posts
You're not feeling any difference because the stock TB is plenty adequate. Presumably, claims are that it 'corrects' the 'tip in' problem (whatever that is-apparently not getting enough go with a little throttle (which means nothing)-so get used to giving it more throttle. We all like to use fashionable words, I guess.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Theres a guy on FJ that ports/bores the throttle bodies to your specs, search around over there

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, he makes 65mm ones, but right now I'm just playing with them. I dunno, I'll bet if I looked at a dyno graph it might show a tiddly bit more on the low-mid rpm range (measurable in fractions of horsepower), but oh well. No biggie. It was fun anyway. \

I think oscar jackson (JRSC, jackson racing) was making 1-2whp more on svtsalvage's throttlebodies, but I believe he said they were marginal (could have been just dyno fluctuations).

Next starts my other projects: 1 5/8-1.75in stainless header, 1.75-1 7/8in stainless tubular turbo manifold, 3in stainless exhaust, stainless variable volume electronically adjustable intake manifold, and various other little widgets.

Maybe if I can make a header (or header kits) that are sub $300 ($225-275 for an assembled header) duratec headers will start going down in price. I can't wait to start playing with my intake manifold. It is a rather exciting design that I will not say much more about. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up about a $400 VVEA intake manifold, as this might be confined to the realm of prototype and unstreetable race part.

I figure if no one else is willing to make reasonably cheap parts, I will sure as hell try...even if they never hit the market!

For now though the talon tsi AWD is getting some sheet metal intake love since the mustang is being retired. I think I'll start out with a short runner design and then make the VVEA intake in following the same development of the focus intakes.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Whoa. Thats crazy man. Are you going to be doing 4-1 or 4-2-1?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4-1 long tube, and I will be banking cylinders according to firing order.

I will be particularly keen on the banking of cylinders on the turbo manifold for twin scroll usage.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's pretty impressive to make your own shit that'll work well!! Good luck on your work, can't wait to hear how it goes...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Good luck with your project dude. Sounds pretty sweet! SO will it fit on the 2.3 as well? I sure hope so [;)]

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the design will be for a volume of 2.3, but the variable volume adjustable engagement will let you play with the butterly engagement rpm, so you delay opening for more torque as necessary. Basically the size of the engines are so close that the only worry will be the butterly engagement. I was going to do a vacuum engagement, but I'm really thinking of an electronic engagement. It would allow for more fine tuning. Keep in mind, still in the planning stages, but it will be a lot cheaper to make than the cast/cnc manifold type and I'll be it will be comparable gains. I'm going to work on a single runner design first, and then see how it goes.

Timeline as of now:
1.focus header
2.talon intake manifold
3.focus tubular turbo manifold
4.focus single runner intake
5.focus VVAE intake (I decided variable volume adjustable engagement sounds better, that way I have the ability to use vacuum or rpm based electronic engagement under the same term umbrella ;) )

Not quite taking orders yet, but when I get some stuff together, I'll see what I can do. As of now it is just a project for my personal entertainment, but I'll be sure to look into the sponsorship stuff for this site when I get to where I am ready to do something commercial.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts