Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it ran well for about 2 weeks, then after a 3 hour trip home, my car is acting up.

When I tried to start it today it started to run really rough, and when I gave it gas going up the street there would be like a delayed response. Also, after awhile the check engine light came on. Right now, when I rev the car, it sounds sick, like it sounds too deep and revs very slow.

Any idea what is causing this?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the car ran like this when I forgot to reconnect the MAF the first time, except, now it is conncected, and is still running like crap.

I also noted that the exhaust smells like rotten eggs, like a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude...it's doing the same thing that it did when we forget the MAF the first time.

CEL came on too.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
when we pulled over, i throughly checked the throttle body for any holes.. it was fine.. i havent heard about a ported throttle body just to go out.. and i dont think a messed up tb would make the exhuast smell....

everything your talking about sounds like a bad cat.. ESP the smell

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The rotten egg smell is due to the cat, this can also throw a CEL. But it won't make the idle change like that, I have driven many cars with bad cats and they usually they lack power as the revs climb but do not cause a change like you describe.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
check your plugs and wires, slow rev's and deep almost sounds like its missing at times and running on 3 cylinders, the smell could also be the cylinders filling up with fuel

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...this is interesting, considering I also changed to ford racing plug wires the same day I did my TB.

Could they possibly be causing this?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Bingo! That sounds like it...Its running really rich, which explains the stink, and if you have one cylinder not firing it is going to be way slow...Real white exhaust coming out the pipe, if so, that is raw unburned fuel, def. check those plug wires, I'll bet thats it!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm...there was white exhaust coming out too...time to put the stock pugs back on,I'll see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Sorry, I assumed someone could install plug wires properly. I guess asking if you used dielectric grease would be asking to much also.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, got my car back.

Seems there was a problem with my coil pack, they also replaced one of my plug wires.

Anyway, not my fault and everything was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I had 2 sets of wires, neither set worked to fix the problem, I don't see how I could have damaged anything.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wires and Coil

Most likely the bad coil damaged the wire and not the reverse. Glad you got it fixed and didnt have much or any out of pocket.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Re: Wires and Coil

EastTexFocus said:
Most likely the bad coil damaged the wire and not the reverse. Glad you got it fixed and didnt have much or any out of pocket.
He replaced the wires, most likely it was damaged during the removal.

How would a coil pack damage a wire, they aren't putting enough power thru to melt it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts