Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen these for sale on various websites and if i could, i'd rather have a local person do the entire job for me. anyone have any idea how much that would cost me?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well chances are the it wont be CNC'd which is the best. if it is it will be pretty expensve, i think someone on here was quoted between 300-400 but im sure that doesnt include the cost of RnR'ing the head. it wont be too signifigantly cheaper than an fr head, and 80% chance it wont make the same power

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
for the price, ford racing is hard to beat. also when u go to a local place, they may do good porting, but probably isn't benchflow tested and you may not gain any power

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so basically when u buy a FR head, for example, you pay for the quality that you KNOW you'll get right?

also, if i get a head from FR or one of those companies, how much would a local shop charge do you think to install it?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
couple hundred bucks, not the quickest install...and i hope by local shop's, you mean with trained techs that have done head gaskets before

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kicknzx3 said:
and i hope by local shop's, you mean with trained techs that have done head gaskets before
i do. and thanks.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yeah the FR head is a sure thing, u get oversized valves too and its aluminum. u can also sell the stock head for a lil chunk o cash too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thanks for all the help [thumb]

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
focus mike: cnc is computer numerical control...its what it says, by machine u can match all ports and make a perfectly formed head and the computer tells the machine where to cut, best to use for headwork, as for r and r...must be some simple abbreviation

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Infra3sv said:
does a ported head increase displacement?
No, it doesn't.

Not just any run of the mill machine shop may know what they are doing with a zetec cylinder head.

It is best to either have an experienced pro like tom or the mcnews guys do the work. the other option is the FR head, out of the box its gains can't be copied for the money.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
increases airflow.... three main things will make power for ur car. air, fuel, and ignition all 3 need to be made better to make good power

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Increases the amount and speed of air that can flow into and exhaust flow out of the cylinders. More air in and exhaust out means more power.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts