Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please need help!

My wife's 2000 ZTS males a strange popping noise between 45-55 mph. It does not do it all the time, very intermintent. The revs are about 2000-2250. I can not get it to do it while the car is stopped (i.e. not moving), just while it is going down the road. The car seems to run just fine, no stumble or anything. It started this about a year and a half ago. Guy at the dealer told me the EGR system was going bad. So I changed it all. Stopped doing it for awhile then picked it up again. Then stopped last fall. Started this spring. Only did it once or twice then stopped. Did not do it all summer until just the other day when she drove it a long distance on the highway. My wife said it did it the whole way home "POP,POP,POP". The really strange thing is that it is not all was the same "LOUDNESS", sometimes its just a little "pop", sometimes a really loud "POP!".
Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
It could very well be a leak in the exhaust system caused by a mildly lean condition.
Where does the "pop" come from? Does it only do it on deceleration?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does it no matter what trhottle i am at, declerating, acclerating, or just cruising at constant throttle. I also forgot to mention the mods. Magnaflow Cat back exhaust, and an F2 Focus CAI. But I really dont think that the mods had anything to do with it. But now that I think about it I think it started it after the new throttle body maybe. The TPS went out on it and every new TPS I installed didnt work so I went to Ford and they told me that the TPS and TB had been updated. So I had to buy a whole new TB and install it. It may be just a coincidence but I do not remember the noise with the old TB. It seems to come form the rear of the car. At first I thought it was a loose piece of heat shielding but I secured it and still the same old "POP".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have put it back on three times but I will try it again. When I put it on I put just a dab of vasoline to help seal it also. I it was that wouldnt it do it all the time?
I do greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Don't use vasoline, get some high temp ( make sure its high temp ) gasket sealer and place a thin coat on both sides. clean the vasoline off first...They are tough to get to seal properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used hi temp gasket maker, still same old "pop". I just dont understand why I cant get it to make the noise while it is sitting still. Thank you for the help. Do you think it might be a vaccum leak?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I have not posted the solution to this problem since I finally found out what it was. I really feel stupid about the whole thing. It was a slightly loose piece of heat shielding. Now when I say slightly loose I mean less than an 1/2" of play maybe even closer to a 1/4". Apparently when I was driving down the road there was enough wind going underneath the car to cause the shielding to bounce against the gas tank. I tried bending to further from the tank, that did not work. So I tried closer to the tank, no dice either. I finally got my aviation sheers and cut off all the loose.......TADA!!!!! No stupid popping noise!!!! I find it really hard to believe that smoehting so little can cause such a big problem. Thanks everybody for everything and all the help!![:D] [thumb]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts