Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i started getting this popping noise from the front.it pops when going over a bump or if i hit a hole.also if im going 20-45mph and just barley turn to the left or right it pops.so any ideas where to start looking?ive been trying to do some research to help but if anyone can help that would be great.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Take off a the wheel that sound seems to be coming from.

Check

Tie rods
Ball Joints
Sway bar links
Struts

Should be one of those things. How many miles do you have on those struts?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take off a the wheel that sound seems to be coming from.

Check

Tie rods
Ball Joints
Sway bar links
Struts

Should be one of those things. How many miles do you have on those struts?
not sure hown many miles on the strut i bought it use.car has 130k.i had the car jacked up and tie rods are new,i did noticed both cv boots are busted and is throwing grease.how do i tell if the ball joints or sway bar links are bad?when i was reading on here i seen something about strut tower bearing??how do i see if that could be a problem?again thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
To check the cv joints. Put the car in neutral Have the car jacked up and rotate the tire back and forth. you will hear a very unnatural noise if they are bad. Like a bad clanking.

as for the ball joints, the covers may be ripped and they will move pretty freely if they are bad.

Sway bar links are a little harder to diagnose. Look were they are bolted on, if the rubber seems to be shot then they could also be bad.

If you think it is your cv axles then bring it to a shop and have the diagnose it, most places will do it for free. Then you can decide if you want to tackle the job yourself.

If the strut tower bearings were shot then your struts are most likely shot, the bearings in the strut towers go from the struts bottoming out and hitting the bearing plate.

(hope this helps)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its the struts or the tower bearing will that cause the popping noise when i barely turn to the left or right?

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
That rattling or popping noise is most likely the sway bar end links, but you should check the bolt at the top of the strut in case it is loose. Also look for signs of the strut tower rubbing against the body. If installed incorrectly, struts can rub the body.

I'm going to guess it's most likely the sway bar end links. Those are common suspension noise causing culprits whether turning or not.

I suggest Rock Auto for these parts, their cost is about half that of local stores, and there's a larger variety of choices. Moog is a good brand, but I had issues with their locking nut. I would prefer the Moog if they would ditch the crushed locking nut and go with a nylon locking nut, or a regular nut with a small tube of blue thread-lock.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also im going to replace my shocks what are the best brand to get?

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
also im going to replace my shocks what are the best brand to get?
For that question, you should really ask the question in the Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension forum. It depends on what your expectations of shocks are going to be. I was happy with the KYB GR2 shocks that I purchased 80k miles ago. I'm due for some new ones now, but I'm not sure what I'll choose. I'm looking for shocks made in the USA whether those are better for performance or not. I make sure that I support my people with all purchases. KYB shocks are made in Japan, at least the ones I got were.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Advance Auto carries KYB and they have lifetime warranty. They even have the fully loaded strut plus option. I can't give an opinion as I have never used the KYBs.
Monroe is another option, they have lifetime warranty also. They don't last much more than 10k miles or so, but you don't have to pay for parts again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay just got back from my buddies house.spent over a hr checking everything.found nothing making the noise with the car jacked up.both cv will be replaced soon.check all bolts and nuts everything is tight.my only other idea could be my struts and tower bearing not sure.all i know is its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
okay i started getting this popping noise from the front.it pops when going over a bump or if i hit a hole.also if im going 20-45mph and just barley turn to the left or right it pops.so any ideas where to start looking?ive been trying to do some research to help but if anyone can help that would be great.
I had the same pops along with some screeching, like bouncing on old bedsprings. I removed a sway bar end link and saw that the boots on either end were trashed. In addition, I felt grinding in both joints when I moved the studs. I replaced the links with Moogs. This totally eliminated the noise AND noticeably improved cornering feel. I guess that this is due to the stiffness of the much heavier Moog links. The Moog links also come with grease fittings (none on the stock links) so they should last longer.

19D SCOUTS OUT! 19D

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup - If the boots are torn, the joints aren't long for this world - AND they MAY be exactly the issue here, since we can't hear the noise you are describing....

CV noise is USUALLY described as "clicking" or "clunking", but 'popping" could be the same thing to different ears....

Luck!

And BTW, CV's make noise most often when the wheel is turned, only in a straight line when they are REALLY shot...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i watched alot of youtube videos on cv and its not the same noise. i get the pop when i first turn and when im going straight over bumps and even speed bumps.i did check my rack and pionion so i was able to cross that out.could my struts cause this jw.thanks for all the ideas and helping me.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Did you remove the sway bar links to check them?

From my experience, and that posted by others here, they MAY seem fine when connected & be obviously shot once disconnected....

Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you remove the sway bar links to check them?

From my experience, and that posted by others here, they MAY seem fine when connected & be obviously shot once disconnected....

Luck!
I agree w/Sailor. It's difficult to check the link knuckles in situ but easy to take one off to check it. Just remove the tire and then unbolt both studs. The studs are floating so you need to hold the stud still with a star drive or an Allen drive (stock links have both, one inside the other [dunno]) inside the stud tip while loosening the nut. Moog links have a counter nut on the stud and are much easier to tighten/loosen.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well my problem is solved it turn out to be my sway bar end links were bad.so after 26 bucks the pooping noise is gone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts