Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just for fun and to see who can most quickly and accurately diagnose what happened to me the other night. It took me 15 minutes to figure it out but I'm betting some of you will get it right away.

The Build: I'm running Tom's DIY turbo kit with the Comp 360 turbo. Wastegate is set for 17 psi. Internals are upgraded (Eagle and J&E). My intake manifold is the early 2000 version. Plugs are coppers, one step colder, gapped to 25. I'm running the CFM oil separator delete, which is being vented to atmosphere (as is my valve cover). The exhaust is FSWerks 2.5" all the way back. Trannny is an ATX.

The Event: I was pulling out of the local grocery store and, not seeing any law enforcement, decided to floor it from a complete stop. I had a little tire screech but it pulled real hard and well. Got to third gear and I heard a loud pop/bang. Next I heard something hit inside the engine compartment. Next thing I knew my rpms dropped and the A/F went super lean (18s+). I let off the gas and the car immediately stalled. FREAKED ME OUT! It would not re-start unless I had the rmps up in the 3000s or higher. Even then it was an incredibly rough run.

As I said above, it took me about 15 minutes to figure it out and the problem has been fixed.

SO WHAT'S YOUR GUESS? Rep given for the quickest and most accurate diagnosis.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer questions but only with "yes" and "no" responses.

·
Registered
573 Posts
sounds like you blew a coupler off.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Egr block off plate or plug?

·
Registered
573 Posts
P.S. still looking for those wastegate shims?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o2 sensor shot out? somehow? lol
Nope, but that was one of the first things I looked at. I thought maybe my A/F sensor had shot out since I had just re-located its bung. Good guess though.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
is it some electrical?

like for instance did the MAF blow off? or a plug somewhere?

did it hit the hood?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is it some electrical?

like for instance did the MAF blow off? or a plug somewhere?

did it hit the hood?
It was NOT electrical.
Not sure what it hit. Felt like the firewall or just below it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vac line or hose came off ?

Tom
WE HAVE A WINNER! (and no, I didn't tell my tuner what happened lol!)

Because I've vented my oil seperator and valve cover to atmosphere, I was left with an open vacuum port on the IM. I picked up a cheap plug that seemed snug enough to me. It held just fine when the car was under vacuum and low boost. But when I went to uber-boost under heavy load like that, the vacuum plug became a ballistic projectile, shot off the IM, and bounced around the engine compartment. Thus the lean A/F and stall.

Rep given to Tom!

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
im going to guess probably something with the manifold... maybe a plug shot out?

did you lose any critical fluids? i.e. oil

im definately saying something with the manifold or vacuum hoses though.

damnit i was typing this out... hahhaa

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
btw...this proved to be a good lesson: Make sure all the vacuum lines and caps are on there tight. I wounded up reinforcing my replacment cap with a little hose clamp just to make sure it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im going to guess probably something with the manifold... maybe a plug shot out?

did you lose any critical fluids? i.e. oil

im definately saying something with the manifold or vacuum hoses though.

damnit i was typing this out... hahhaa

Yoda...only a few seconds too late!!! I would have given 100% credit for the plug answer.

edit: I gave you rep for being precise!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts