Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got a weird issue with my suspension. I have had it to several places. I have a some noises coming from my front end that make that sound not in that exact order but close. I have replaced sway bar endlinks (front and rear), control arm bushings, now struts and shocks. I have also had to replace teh strut tower bearing and plate assemblies like 3 times. I have H&R sport springs on the car and have had them on for four years. The springs are the only parts that I have not replaced. Oh, the shocks and struts are OEM replacements. I have a 07 ST. I am wondering if the struts are not compatible with the struts? is that posible? Its not a substancial drop, could the problem lie with stock oem struts and springs with lowered springs? any thoughts woudl be greatly appreciated. I have spent well lets jsut say I coul dhave put 2 sets of soil over suspension systems in. I am tired of spending this kind of cash for this problem if you guys can help I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think you found the problem yourself, OEM shocks and struts with aftermaket springs is a no no, they are design to work with taller springs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How long have you had this been going on? Does it happen going over a bump or when turning? If it is over like a speed bump, probably the shocks. If it is when turning the wheels. It sounds like the spring is binding then popping back making the sound. For this check to make sure the top strut plate is seated in the correct direction, can be easily get flipped creating this issue. It is also best not to use oem shock with lowering springs because it kills them fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is exactly the issue it seems like autoxing, they are in a bind and make that popping noise. it is when I am turning or backing up and then Turing. I have had this problem with this system for a long time. I kept blowing bearing plates and dough nut bearing assemblies for about a year. I have had the lowering springs for about 4 years. I have made sure to recheck to check the rechecking on how they strut assembly had gone back together. I also talked to several what they call themselves (lol) suspension professionals. A few have been professional and most of them are clueless.

On the other hand not to argue by all means. But I know that I am not the only one to put lowering springs to OEM struts. I wonder why these ass hats I have talked to in the past have never mentioned this to me before. eerrrr! :) I even advised the butt wipes at the dealer that repaired my car in Chicago that there is aftermarket suspension on the car. and the service adviser told me the struts that they are ordering will not get damaged or have performance issues. THEY ALL LIE. I had no choice to take it back to the dealer cause the strut bearings blew while I was in Chicago. Other wise I would have done the work myself. I cant stand for others to work on my ride.

I was thinking, hmmm perhaps that theory is right. But the struts that I took off the car are still in great operating order. The rear shocks were bad on the other hand. Also, how come there is no issue in the rear of the car?

This is odd I have never seen this before. So are you all are recommending that I go to a different shock and strut setup? Thank you all for you asssistance with this one off issue.

How long have you had this been going on? Does it happen going over a bump or when turning? If it is over like a speed bump, probably the shocks. If it is when turning the wheels. It sounds like the spring is binding then popping back making the sound. For this check to make sure the top strut plate is seated in the correct direction, can be easily get flipped creating this issue. It is also best not to use oem shock with lowering springs because it kills them fast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You don't have to switch to new shocks and struts but they will probably need to to be replaced more often then a shortened shock. For the noise I would take the shocks out yourself and make sure they are put back together properly. I know it is some what of a pain but its the only way to know for sure. It can happen to any one, I did this when putting in my springs. Also, you don't have this issue in the rear because they don't move.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd be matching up the spring's w/ some decent strut's/shock's to start w/ & do it your self too! Making sure the strut bearing's & plate's are in decent shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts