Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 Ford Focus Zetec back in august. And i have been monitoring my gas mileage pretty closely to see what exactly what i get. So on the first tank i got around 300 miles on a tank. Then about 280 on a tank. Now my gas light just went on, and i am at around 242 miles since i filled up the tank. What can i do to improve my MPG? I still need to check the spark plugs.

So Currently i have 154,5xx on the car. I recently had to replace the thermostat housing as i was driving home one day and noticed my temp gauge red-lining. Popped the hood open to find ZERO coolant in the fill area. Turns out that my thermostat housing gasket went, so i was slowly loosing coolant. I had smelled burning coolant when i would park, and the car was cooling off, but it was such a small scent of it i just overlooked it. Do you think because there was a lack of coolant, the system was overworking itself causing poor MPG?

Thanks.

Edit: I mean't to say 2000 Ford Focus ZTS 154,5xx Miles

·
Registered
658 Posts
Check the plugs, and replace those with the wires if needed. Check air filter to see how dirty it is. You can also replace the fuel filter. And make sure your tires are at the right pressure.

Thats where I would start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the plugs, and replace those with the wires if needed. Check air filter to see how dirty it is. You can also replace the fuel filter. And make sure your tires are at the right pressure.

Thats where I would start
Do i need to replace just the plugs, or the whole nine yards?

·
Registered
658 Posts
You can start by pulling them out and looking at them. Check the gap on them (if they dont look extremely fouled). Replace as necessary, although you could just replace them anyways so you know when they were last done. Thats what I did when I bought mine.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You really need to track it better for a baseline number.

Miles per gallon from the actual fills vs. trip odo, and review those results vs. the type of driving done.

I've got a different engine & possibly trans (you didn't mention the type), but for a comparison my mileage varies by up to 10 mpg between local 'mixed" driving vs. hwy driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really need to track it better for a baseline number.

Miles per gallon from the actual fills vs. trip odo, and review those results vs. the type of driving done.

I've got a different engine & possibly trans (you didn't mention the type), but for a comparison my mileage varies by up to 10 mpg between local 'mixed" driving vs. hwy driving.
It is the 5spd manual to start off, and I hit the odo button when I fill up the tank full. I would say my driving is 40% highway and 60% city. And in the city, not going over 45, and on back roads going anywhere from 50-55 ( I live outside of town ). I tend to shift around the 2900 rpm area, and if I need the extra acceleration when merging on the highway around 3500 rpm then. I wouldn't say I am driving fast, but I usually am always going 5 over the speed limit. And when on the highway I do about 70-75mph. So around 3000rpms in 5th gear there.

If you need any info, let me know. Feel free to pm me. I just want to figure this out.

Edit: Not sure about the transmission, but I know the engine is the 2.0l 16v DOHC.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tire pressures, tune up (depending on when it was done last), start tracking your fuel use by MPG. Keep in mind that the city driving is going to be a big variable.

For reference, my old Focus which was the same as yours, averaged 23-25 mpg's in town and just over 30 on the freeway.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Moved this to "General Technical Chat" since most of your questions refer to general maintenance problems.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You could also look into cleaning the MAF or IAT sensors.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Without the gallons for each of those fill ups, can't even guess.

Focus tank usually takes a max of about 10 gal. at a fill up, that would make your range of MPG from 24 to 30 - right in the normal area.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know someone posted check the MAF sensor, but I would give that a try (and be careful they are pricey.) On my last focus that was my issue for my terrible gas milage. Got some MAF cleaner, sprayed it off and let it dry, suddenly got about 5 more MPG, I was shocked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts