Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...well...here it goes...

For the last 3-4 weeks...I had been averaging between 26.5 - 27.5 MPG. I was confident that it was because one of the roads I would normally take was under construction and I had to change my route between work and home.

Well low and behold...my very first week back to taking my old normal route after the construction was over yielded 29.5 MPG on the very first tank!

Isn't it amazing how the change in routine daily commute changed my MPG by 2-3 MPG?

So I went back and looked at my habits:

1st...the new route had WAY more stop lights and less right turns.
2nd...the new route just plain flat out had more traffic.
3rd...my level of driving aggression went up...where I would normally patiently wait for people and for lights to change...the new route caused me to change my driving habits out of pure stress....Examples: Running stale yellow lights...speeding...cutting off people...being heavy footed...shifting at higher RPM due to road rage...stop and go traffic increased...sitting longer at red lights not having long enough spaces to coast to a stop... etc...etc...
4th...my old route took me through lots of long flat 55mph back roads some hills...my new route took me through city areas and a few train track crossings.
5th...I was also driving during peak traffic times...around 7AM....now I am driving around 9-10 AM. Traffic is less and its easier to drive slowly and not be stressed out by tons of traffic or idling in place for 10 minutes

I am sure there are more but anyway...the moral of the story is that just finding a good, normal, well paced route to work and home will help yield really good MPG and save on stress. So my advice is...try to enjoy the ride...drive at a steady pace....and gain some MPG too.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Its amazing the things we dont pay attention to when we drive. I like the road rage, I get pissed and drive more aggressive too. On another note, the government complains about emmsions, but they add stop lights everywhere, which is worse for emmsions than most cars. Its amazing how much stop and go traffic they increase each year.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, i know the feeling, its rough, I have about 22 mpg cause of all the stop and go!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sometimes it helps to slow down... But I really have a hard time doing so.. 28.5 mpg to 36.0 mpg on my trips to madison traveling about 78 mph... road construction and snow..

5,155 Posts
I get 32 mpg average [:D] but I don't have much stop-and-go traffic to deal with, and my driving habits have changed drastically over the last 2 years. Light on the go-pedal, shifting at lower RPMs, using the AC at speeds over 55 and keep the windows down at speeds 45 and lower.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
I have 2 ways to get to my job, and both those ways lead to the same road. I could keep going straight towards adobe rd and turn right and will arrive about the same time if I were to turn right from amboy rd on utah trail, then go from utah trail on to valle vista road straight to adobe rd.

Ever since the recent flooding in july and august all the sand has gotten to valle vista rd and affect my driving habits so I just take the amboy rd to adobe rd and it will be less drama.

·
Registered
25 Posts
omg

wth i cant believe you guys are getting so many mpg, lately ive noticed that im getting around 220 miles per tank thats after i updated the computer with the sct before i remember i was getting around 280 MPT and even more.

im putting 93 oct bcuz thats what i flashed it for and thats about it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thats crazy, even after all my mods and tune I still get like 25 mpg's.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
wth i cant believe you guys are getting so many mpg, lately ive noticed that im getting around 220 miles per tank thats after i updated the computer with the sct before i remember i was getting around 280 MPT and even more.

im putting 93 oct bcuz thats what i flashed it for and thats about it.
Even though I am stock, the surrounding areas where I live can kill about 2-3 MPG in 115 degree temperatures so you got to blame the earth and not the car. That is why I am looking forward to winter, it's much denser even with a restrictive intake thus have the car perform a whole lot better.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for the input guys.

I just thought it would be interesting to talk about my experiment. I for one am glad my old route is open again because I enjoy the country roads so much better then the city route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts