Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not really MFT, but by mostly luck I happened upon a setup that looks promising as a way to have my car automation at a decent cost:

The specs:

• Focus 2012 SE with no upgrade on radio
  • Samsung Galaxy S phone from T-Mobile, Android 2.2. $400
  • Monthly cost with 4G data plan and unlimited minutes - $50 (on a family line)
  • D30 band impact case. This is soft and lets you wedge the phone into the dash easily, and impact resistant
  • Google Nav
  • Cable to input jack in glove box
  • USB charger to 12V in console when needed.

Whats cool about it? The phone fits right in the slot with no mount, and can be adjusted to face the driver. its a 4" screen and its a bit closer to the driver. The phone has a sunlight readable AMOLED screen, so you can see the nav or anything else in direct sunlight. There is no sync or anything needed - just launch the app you want.

Its a smaller screen but it gives me 80% of capabilities the built-in unit and is upgradeable and fits and works well! I might have to do some Android contortions to get proper voice control, etc, but its a good start.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Poor man's MFT!
Haha, that's not too bad. I was expecting something ridiculous like a cardboard cut-out taped to your dashboard - or perhaps some type of puppet show where the screen should've been. Still a $400 upgrade, though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well except its my phone too. I just take it out when I stop and stuff it in my pocket. Only one set of data to fool around with and one computer to break!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the phone hasn't crashed yet. Better upgrade path too - the phone has a comparable processor to the MFT in it, but I can get software from the market from anyone who writes it, and if it sucks I don't have to use it or take it to the dealer to get it updated. I can flash the phone to Android 2.3 if I want, but its OK with 2.2 right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you have Sync but not a smart phone the Sync directions works pretty well. On syncmyride.com you can add saved points like home or work. And on google maps you can send the directions you are looking at to your phone, which Sync gets when you and the car pair up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've got the Canadian equivalent of that same phone. The main difference is that it runs on AT&T compatible frequencies which is great for travelling. Anyhow, I'm amazed you get a reliable GPS signal, mine rarely works and that's after 10 minutes of waiting.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Question for you? why not use the bluetooth instead of the stereo cable?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use my iPhone 3gS almost like that when I need to use GPS. I don't connect the aux cable though. My aux cable sits in my cup-holder and is connected to a mic headphone adapter. I connect my phone to this and it works pretty well. Very few times, have people complained about echo or not being able to hear me. My voice goes through the adapter and the phone's audio comes in through the speakers :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I 'sort-of' did this too...

I have to admit kind of did something similar to this lol... I got my SE with Sync/Sirius package and I love it! The 'hands-free' Sync and voice commands were exactly what I wanted in my new car. I utilize Bluetooth Audio all the time, and rarely even have to take my phone out of my pocket anymore.

However, wishing I still had more 'tech' in the car -- I got a new Garmin just last week and now I have another 5'' screen (this one - a touch screen) in the car and I must say -- Its an EXCELLENT and reliable add-on :)

infact -- I just updated my garmin last evening and now YODA is giving me turn-by-turn navigation!

·
Registered
444 Posts
If they still made the dell streak 5. 5 inch android screen and phone. would fit in that spot nicely, and give a bigger viewing screen as well....would probably work quite nice.

kind of wish i did this with my phone instead of getting MFT haha

however since the update i am in love with MFT since it no longer crashes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts