Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a k&n filter for my car and left the intake air box cover off. Holy crap what a difference it makes. Sounds so throaty I love it. I cant wait for a fswerks exhaust now! Im going to get a in car video tomorrow. My car is a hatchback 5spd.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how the stock airbox is still there along with the resonator. If I'm not mistaken sri usually have the filter exposed or a shield around it.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I tried taking the cover off the box. the sound is cool, except for the really loud resonance which I believe will eventually ruin the mass air flow sensor. I meant LISTEN to it. the resonance it incredibly LOUD!! You must realize that sound is resonating inside the throttle body and mass air flow. The wire in the mass air flow is just a heated coil of wire out in the airfow of a small pilot tube.
So you can play with it. let us know if the check engine light comes on from a problem with the mass air flow sensor being broken..

It was funny the few miles I had mine off. a few ricer cars seemed to want to race right off.. LOL.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it does have a nice tone to it. If the maf sensor goes off ill just bring it back with the cover and stock filter :looks: lol. I'm anxious for some parts to come out now. I've heard the fswerks exhaust and with a good intake setup these can sound wicked nice.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
the thing sounds like it's dying for air.
That's because it is. With the engine bay design there's no way for it to get adequate air with the cover off. It goes the same for the Injen and Weapon-R overpriced intakes that are available.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness.
+1.

Cold air and short ram intakes are designed to work properly with a cone shaped filter that is exposed. The stock airbox is designed to use a flat filter in a box with a vent system to bring air into the engine.

Pulling off a piece that was engineered to work a specific way may get your car to sound cool but it won't help it breathe. If it did, Ford would have removed the top cover from the factory.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car had a cylinder air filter when I bought it new.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Wisdom

(and humor [giddy])
If we dont make Mistakes how will we ever learn? I mean hey I wish I could get back the 100+$ i managed to spend on breaking stuff the past 7 years ive been driving.

But Im Smart as heck because of it so yes a good laugh and some wisdom always come from our mistakes.

BTW if you take the top off atleast take the covers off your lower right and left front grilles so the car will circulate air into your engine bay.

I Will say that I bet its getting good gas mileage with all the hot air its getting lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts