Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Focus SE with 89,xxx miles. The car still runs excellent with very few problems in the past.

Lately though, I've noticed that I'm only getting ~200mi per tank (11 gal). It seems to equal around ~17mpg.

I don't drive it hard (actually, I am a slow driver). The vacuum system was fixed ~4 months ago. The air filter is clean. It doesn't leak any fluids (gas, oil, etc. ). It idles fine, it drives fine- it just simply lacks mpg.

Has anybody had any problems similar or experience with this? I'd like to get it fixed soon, without replacing unnecessary parts.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The usual first comment is to track it closer to see where you stand, actual trip odo. miles vs. fill up gallons to get some good numbers.

Could you mention your engine type? We can't guess from just '02 SE and any exact pointers differ between engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I reset my odometer every time I fill my tank so I know if mpg is consistant. I just filled up yesterday from 1/4 tank (3/4 empty) and there was ~190 miles on the odo. So, in 3/4 of my 13.x gal. tank, I got about 190 miles.

Also, I apologize, I have the 2.0l Zetec.

Would replacing plugs, wires, and fuel filter really make THAT big of a difference?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Have car OBD scanned for codes, lots of places will do this for free.
Check tire pressure.
Lift each wheel off ground and check that it spins freely.
Clean MAF sensor.
Check health of spark plugs and/or replace them.
Remove and check entire Coil Pack for tiny hairline cracks.
Maybe replace spark plug wires.
Maybe have fuel injectors removed and professionally cleaned.
Check for dead weight or person hiding inside trunk.

Persons who did Vac repair might have made a mistake.

Oh, Sailor n OP replied, whoops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The tires are fairly new and I often check them to ensure optimal pressure.

There are no lights on the dash... So is it possible that there is still an error code?

Also, the last time a light was on, it was "Bank 1 Too Lean" due to PCV hose crack.

Could MAF really cause that kind of decrease?

Also, the vacuum system was fixed due to a rough idle caused by that cracked PCV hose

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Marde added some good basic checks.

I know I'm being picky, but "3/4 of a 13 gal. tank" going by the gauge doesn't give accurate gallons used. Actual MPG could range from pitiful to normal with only that info..

Specific engine IS important, if not sure there is a "stickie" with pictures & descriptions at the top of this page.

Gauge doesn't show accurate engine temp., you'd need to use the odo. test function to see that - but if the needle stays unusually low or heat has been poor it points to one relatively simple cause for the low MPG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have had a similar problem with our '05 Focus SE. The knob that controls the Heating and AC vents was stuck on defrost. In addition, there was water condensation appearing on the garage floor under the engine. At the time We didn't know if the issues were related; We thought that other fluids might be leaking from the engine. We took it to a shop and they examined the fuel system and found that the condensation was connected to the stuck knob. The knob was unstuck and the condensation ended. Unfortunately, the gas mileage on the car dropped by about 5 mpg. It used to be around 30mpg, now it barely reaches 25 mpg; sometimes lower. Whatever they did examining the fuel system had some impact on fuel efficiency. It can not definitely be proven and they wouldn't acknowledge any connection. We can't prove causality but one thing is true: shortly after a year, conveniently past any warranty, the knob stuck again and the condensation returned.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm afraid that likely has no relationship to this thread.

The stuck knob situation is not too uncommon, if you have it happening now a fresh thread of your own would be appropriate. There is a "stickie" at the top of this page that includes a lot of info. on dealing with sticking HVAC controls.

Fuel system wouldn't have been touched for any repair to that, the condensation dripping is because the A/C is on when in the defrost position and in humid conditions you get normal A/C drainage from the firewall area.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Do all your accessory pulleys spin freely? Any odd noises from the belt tensioner?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do all your accessory pulleys spin freely? Any odd noises from the belt tensioner?
Actually, probably unrelated, but I have noticed that my pulley on the serp. belt squeaks every rotation. Other than that, everything appears the same as it has always been.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I added ZMax to my fuel and oil (two seperate bottles). Also, I need to get Torx Security bits and then I will clean the MAF sensor and report my results back here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts