Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay I did my post earlier, read all the forms and my 2000 ZX3 2.0 Zetec still averages 20 mpg, not the 25/33 as indicated. I have spent endless time and money trying most of the fixes listed in forums with no change at all. What gets me is that there is now way to troubleshoot this problem. Ford says there is nothing wrong with my car and that their computer says I should be seeing 27 mpg, and they did all city driving. Ford and other users on this post say that it must be the way the car is being driven and/or tire pressure, air filter, and on and on. I say bull crap, the car has a problem and no one knows how to troubleshoot it. What a piece of crap. I dread the day I bought a Ford Focus. Economy car, yeah right. oh yeah and don't tell me you have a car that does about the same and that is the way it is, because I have seen numerous posts where people with the same engine are averaging a lot better gas mileage. What urks me is that Ford has no way to effectively troubleshoot this problem. So I am stuck with a 4 banger that sucks gas like a V-8, what a crock. Sorry for the negative post but I had to vent. Frustrated in Ohio.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
ok i had this problem on my sisters fofo give me some background like miles, tranny type,and what you have done to try to improve the milage...we can get to the bottom of the problem it will just take time and patience

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is what I have done.
Transmission Flush, dealer says operating fine, automatic tranny
Oil Change, synthetic oil from Ford (a blend they suggested)
New air Filter
New plugs & Wires
New Fuel Filter
New O2 sensor upper
New DPFE sensor
Used EGR regulator
Cleaned MAF sensor
Took EGR Valve hose off and plugged. Car seemed to do better at first on mileage, but then engine light came on and mpg dropped to about 15, so I re-installed the hose to the EGR Valve.
Reset ECU, by disconnecting the battery cable.
Dealer checked and no codes are present
Dealer perrformed fuel system/injector cleaning
Replaced EGR valve
Replaced coil pack with a used one
Checked hoses, PCV hose has been replaced that comes from the back of the motor

Oh yeah and I have a 120K miles

·
Registered
804 Posts
well run down the checklist
  1. Fuel filter
  2. Air Filter
  3. Spark Plugs
  4. Highway speeds at a steady 65mph the car should run at 2500 rpm(most efficient without being too slow)
  5. City Driving(shift the car below 3000rpm after each gear till your desired speed is met
the Foci IMO basically is an econo car but not so sluggish that its annoying
so how you drive it is what your Average MPG is and really factors in that its an Econo car or not

good luck

·
Registered
804 Posts
oops you beat me to it while i was typing lol NVM

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
i have an 00 and i get about 20-25 city and 30-35 highway of corse its dependent on how i drive. im a farm boy with a heavy foot. i have seen as low as 15~mpg as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well run down the checklist
  1. Fuel filter
  2. Air Filter
  3. Spark Plugs
  4. Highway speeds at a steady 65mph the car should run at 2500 rpm(most efficient without being too slow)
  5. City Driving(shift the car below 3000rpm after each gear till your desired speed is met
the Foci IMO basically is an econo car but not so sluggish that its annoying
so how you drive it is what your Average MPG is and really factors in that its an Econo car or not

good luck

yep did all of the above....no change

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
i have used it on 5 cars and never had any problems i have heard it causes problems throught the brake booster but i always go through the pcv valve for the focus here is how it goes: (make sure car has premium fuel in it, 1/4 of a tank)
1 start car in ventalated area
2 disconect pcv valce from airbox
3 with engine running pour 3/4 of the bottle into the pcv valve at a medium rate but always at a constant rate. if the car starts to choke it is ok just slow up a little so the engine does not turn off
4 after seafoam has been poured turn car off immediately
5 let car sit for 15-20 min.
6 start car (this will be difficult at first)
7 once car is started rev it to 3000 rpms and hold for 20 seconds
8 raise rpms to 4500 for ten seconds
9 raise rpms to 6000 for intervals of 2 seconds and back down to 4500 for 2 seconds between raises
10 back at 3000 for 30 seconds.
11 put remainig quarter of bottle in the gas tank and drive over the next few days. it will be sluggish on takeoff but after this process the car should drive much better.

to get you ready for the looks of this process go to youtube and type in seafoam it will show you what the smoke looks like and there is a video of a jetta where they put so much it turns the engine off from flooding, but when they turn it back on it is great with lots of carbon smoke coming out (this is a good thing)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have used it on 5 cars and never had any problems i have heard it causes problems throught the brake booster but i always go through the pcv valve for the focus here is how it goes: (make sure car has premium fuel in it, 1/4 of a tank)
1 start car in ventalated area
2 disconect pcv valce from airbox
3 with engine running pour 3/4 of the bottle into the pcv valve at a medium rate but always at a constant rate. if the car starts to choke it is ok just slow up a little so the engine does not turn off
4 after seafoam has been poured turn car off immediately
5 let car sit for 15-20 min.
6 start car (this will be difficult at first)
7 once car is started rev it to 3000 rpms and hold for 20 seconds
8 raise rpms to 4500 for ten seconds
9 raise rpms to 6000 for intervals of 2 seconds and back down to 4500 for 2 seconds between raises
10 back at 3000 for 30 seconds.
11 put remainig quarter of bottle in the gas tank and drive over the next few days. it will be sluggish on takeoff but after this process the car should drive much better.

to get you ready for the looks of this process go to youtube and type in seafoam it will show you what the smoke looks like and there is a video of a jetta where they put so much it turns the engine off from flooding, but when they turn it back on it is great with lots of carbon smoke coming out (this is a good thing)
Okay I may give this a try....educate me please...how does this improve gas mileage and where can I buy seafoam at??

·
Registered
804 Posts
ok heres my last shot at figuring this out tire pressure? i kno it wouldnt make that much of a diff with your prob but could help more tire pressure is less rolling resistance

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
seafoam can be bought at any autoparts chain or walmart .....by the way if you want to go throught the brake booster it does help more you just have to do it slower and use 1/4 of it i kno on my sisters focus i did the 1/2 through pcv and 1/4 through booster and 1/4 through gas tank so it is all up to you this is the optimum way i believe for your situation

the seafoam cleans carbon buildup in the engine caused by cumbustion of gas (when done through pcv and brake booster). with as many miles as you have you should see alot of nasty stuff come out. when i did it to my blazer with 137k it blew black stuff and smoke like you wouldnt believe. now on the 4 banger it will prolly be white smoke but will be a lot of it. as well as cleans fuel ingectors (when put in gas tank with premium fuel)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I did most of the same stuff you did.....to my '06 automatic (with 25k). Even with very conservative mixed driving I averaged 25-26mpg. After a Steeda SRI installation, I went to 28.5mpg with the same mixed driving.

However....when my driving drops to mostly around town (75%), my MPG goes back to about 26MPG. My conclusion...the Focus will not get good MPGs unless you do a large percentage of highway driving, with very conservative driving habits.

20 MPG does seem rather low.....but may be normal if you have a heavy foot. You may be wasting your time/money running various chemicals through the engine. I tried the same thing.....didn't do squat.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i got 33mpg highway with my car full of camping stuff going 120km/hr. Around the city like most i see about 25mpg, so you are right that isnt normal
you probably shouldnt have just started throwing parts at it though....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got 33mpg highway with my car full of camping stuff going 120km/hr. Around the city like most i see about 25mpg, so you are right that isnt normal
you probably shouldnt have just started throwing parts at it though....
I agree, especially after seeing no results. That is what is so crappy about this focus, it has a problem with no way to troubleshoot, its like a crap shoot. This forum offers all kinds of suggestions of what may be the problem (again as the forum suggest "throw parts at your car" All by the way try these lists of parts and that should fix it.), but there are no postings on how to troubleshoot. Ford offers no better. All I hear is you should be getting better gas mileage but we can't tell you why you are not. Unbelievable.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i get about 20 mpg's because I dont really drive my car over 10 miles at a time...short trips KILL gas mileage, and when those miles are in rush hour traffic and heat, its gets pretty bad. The only reason why I dont care that I get this mileage is because I drive about 220-250 every two weeks, which is a tank of gas with this car (roughly 11 galls per fill up) and I get paid every two weeks.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You do realize the car is almost 9 years old, and an automatic and its not going to get the advertised milage numbers like it did new.

Have you checked the compression?? If the compression is low then that also can cause lower gas milage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I read through the thread and I didn't see anything about having an alignment done (I'm sure I could've missed it though). Has this been checked?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts