Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I try to accelerate quickly the actual speed of my car hardly goes quicker and the RPM goes way too high. Sometimes the car shakes when this happens. My transmission fluid is yellow. Any ideas about how why this may be and how to fix it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is Your Car Auto or manual? If it's manual your clutch is probably slipping. If itsauto it could be anything from a broken shift solenoid to a blown tranny.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
TPS...Throttle Position Sensor. Seems to define that problem exactly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses! So to clarify.. do you think that the engine would still rev like crazy when trying to accelerate if it was the TPS? Or does it sound more transmission related?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
My guess is that it's transmission related.

YELLOW for a fluid color??? That isn't right, how's the level? Did you check it running or stopped?

That's a puzzler for a Focus.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Uh... Get rid of that fluid. Sounds like an additive to stop slip. Judging by your description, I'd almost say your torque converter is toast

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I found one reference that mentioned bad fluid being yellow, as it turns from red to orange to yellow to brown to black.

The only other references mention odd fluids that def. shouldn't be in there, such as ones for different trans. types.

Has this thing ever had a fluid change? IIRC it's supposed to be every 30,000 for that trans..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I too am really puzzled by yellow trans fluid. It definitely seems like your transmission or TC are slipping badly. As advised above I would drop the trans pan, drain ALL of the tranny oil, new filter and try it with a snootful of fresh clean Mercon V.

Wow, doesn't sound really good though. Good luck and keep us posted!

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! I brought it to a mechanic, who did a test run and they said they have to rebuild the entire transmission. If they find out the specific issue, I will be sure to post it on here.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pick your choice on repair methods, taking a chance on a used one is cheaper, rebuild with a guarantee gives peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks everyone! I brought it to a mechanic, who did a test run and they said they have to rebuild the entire transmission. If they find out the specific issue, I will be sure to post it on here.
How many miles?

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts