Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I had an incident that resulted in my front bumper being destroyed last week thanks to a lazy snowplow driver leaving a 3' snowbank across an intersection that I ran into. So right now I have a rental car that my employer is footing the bill for (since I drive all over for work) until I can get a replacement stock front bumper for my Focus, and I got a Pontiac G6 GT from the airport Avis center.

I'm pretty surprised with the overall quality of the car...its like GM took the Cobalt and removed about 90% of the stuff I hated about it based on experiences I've had getting a Cobalt for a rental car. For an auto it has a decent amount of low-end power and it'll get up and go if you want it to. The interior is so-so...it has really nice leather/faux leather (can't tell if its genuine or not) heated seats that do a decent job of holding you into the car. The gauge cluster is kind of annoying, trademark Pontiac with all red faces and needles (it can get annoying after a while) and I'm not terribly impressed with the layout, it looks like the gauges were just randomly put into place. It has a nice trip computer that's built into the factory headunit, and what impressed me the most is the factory-installed remote start built into the remote entry fob.

I'm not going to go as far to say that I'd replace my Focus with one...it still has the same chassis issue with the rear window and not being able to see much of what's going on behind you, and the car is a bit bigger than I'd prefer (IMO it should be classified as a midsize instead of a compact,) but overall its the first GM car that I've seen in a long time that I was actually impressed by.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Theres one thing I don't understand about the G6. If Pontiac is the "performance division" ,why doesn't the G6 get an SC like the Cobalt and the far from performance division Saturn Ion Redline?

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I've always been hiding the truth that I actually do like the G6 GT Coupe.

There's a business nearby my house that has a G6 coupe and a Porsche parked next to each other. I know that I should've eyeballed the Porsche first, but the Pontiac has a such a great shape to it. At first the taillights made me instantly think it was a 350Z.

For the record, Pontiac is the only division of GM that I would buy out of.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres one thing I don't understand about the G6. If Pontiac is the "performance division" ,why doesn't the G6 get an SC like the Cobalt and the far from performance division Saturn Ion Redline?
Well the GTP model has a 240 BHP/240 TQ 3.9L V6...so technically it has more power than the Cobalt SS and Ion Redline. Still a bit bigger than I'd prefer though, even with that much power N/A.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Well the GTP model has a 240 BHP/240 TQ 3.9L V6...so technically it has more power than the Cobalt SS and Ion Redline. Still a bit bigger than I'd prefer though, even with that much power N/A.
I did not realize that. Yeah more power and it's N/A . I like that ,but does it fall to the tragedy of auto only?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi,

I also like the G6, esp the retractable hardtop. The Saturn Sky/ Sky redline is awesome as well...well except for the name...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Are you talking about the G5 or G6.

If you can't tell if the leather is real or not, that's good.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a G6 from Avis, its a four-door. I think the G5 is the coupe...? At any rate, I popped the hood earlier and found out why it has so much power off the line for an auto; the GT has a 3.5L V6.

I really do like it...but its not my type of car. I find myself having to back up and pull forward to get out of tight spots that my Focus would have no problem turning right out of, and I don't like the view out of the rear. Maybe I've just been spoiled by my hatch, but its hard to judge where the back end of the car is while backing up. If I was in the market for a nearly mid-size sedan I'd probably pick up a GTP with the six-speed, but like I said its too big for my taste.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
This is a G5 (not sure if the image will show or not)

Basically a Cobalt with a Pontiac logo and Cobalt sedan taillights.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I know a couple of people at work that have them, I love them too. I was actually impressed with the interior. In my opinion, all American cars have done a fairly decent job of improving their vehicles. I don't see any reason why wouldn't want to buy American now. There are plenty of choices. The G6 is a great example if you ask me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think GM is making a deal with Holden (the performance aussie company) to use on of their designs as the next Grand Prix. The Gs look nice, but I am holding out for Holden, they make some great cars, it would be nice to be able to buy one in the US.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
the G5 is the rebadged cobalt...which is pontiacs compact. The G6 is classified as a mid-sized sedan. Oh, and if you want a performance version better then the GTP...buy the GXP thats coming out soon....even though its alittle overdone in the looks dept. GM's quality has been going up very nicely and with them uping cadillacs quality, the introduction of the opels for saturn and the bringing over of the nice cars from down under, they have a nice range of quality vehicals. The new G8 is sick....what a beast, looks so much better then the charger IMO

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
This is a G5 (not sure if the image will show or not)

Basically a Cobalt with a Pontiac logo and Cobalt sedan taillights.

I'd rather have this G5 if it has sedan taillights. Those on the Cobalt look like ass and out of place.

I just had an idea. GM should take the Colorado pickups, rebadge them as Pontiacs and boost it better than before. That would kick ass!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
the G5 is on par with the Cobalt. the G6 is it's own car, but I think it shares a platform with the new Impala.

The GXP version coming out is pretty racey, and the GTP that has been out for a while with six speed is one hell of a car to drive.

Wait til the G8 GTP/GXP comes to the showrooms, now there's a Pontiac worth talking about :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had a G6 as a rental too. Impressive...defenetly. Hahaha I jumped it in San Fransisco cought maybe 2 feet of air...the car isn't so balanced in air tho [rofl] . At that time i had my SE and would've traded without even thinking.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
The G6 is a nice car, I don't know how they are selling now but IIRC at first they were selling pretty slow. I just remember that because it seemed ironic that the P.O.S. Grand Am that the G6 replaces always sold great even though it was really quite antiquated and the styling was too cartoonish; Pontiac came out with the kind of sophisticated and subdued-looking replacement that magazine writers begged for - and the buying public went "meh" in response. [rolleyes]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts