Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hutch let me ask ya this....does it add a tad more timing and change your fuel curve and your spark table...obviously it would burn cleaner resulting in less knock...

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
No...

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
running a high octane without the proper tune could result in predetonation if i remember correctly

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
how would it cause predetonation? how does it pre-explode uncontrollably

anyways running higher octane without a tune for it is a waste, the car will add no timing. you need a tune to add timing.

it burns SLOWER (not cleaner), reducing the chance of knock.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
This 'discussion of high octane vs not has been gone through before.
The two sides are far far apart and never the twain shall meet.
As for whether premium has ANY benefits, or not. each person can find out for themselves.
To ASK? it is like howling at the Moon. This is fighting turf..
LOL

·
Registered
578 Posts
You should see no difference in milage. only a bigger dent in your wallet. If you are looking for some bang for the buck in all categories try adding some sea foam to your gas. Its the white metal can with red labeling (~$8). You can also fog the engine to clean the top of the valves and the back side of the throttle plate. This will also create one hell of a fog show and most likely kill all the mosquitos in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
508 Posts
go B.G.

THEIR THE BEST SOLUTION TO ANY PROBLEM OR MECHANICAL NEED!!!!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You should see no difference in milage. only a bigger dent in your wallet. If you are looking for some bang for the buck in all categories try adding some sea foam to your gas. Its the white metal can with red labeling (~$8). You can also fog the engine to clean the top of the valves and the back side of the throttle plate. This will also create one hell of a fog show and most likely kill all the mosquitos in your neighborhood.
Please Do NOT do this![chair]

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Higher octane fuels keep your valves cleaner because the addtives used to increase the octane are the same thing used in fuel system cleaners it has been proven. Its not really a dent in your wallet its actually cheaper than buying an additive and pouring it in. A full fillup in my 2010 only yeilds about 3 dollars more per fill up to use High octane. it costs about 20-30 cents more per gallon over regular fuel. so think if you get ten gallons of gas which is about a typically fill up thats only 2-3 dollars more! that vs $5+ for a fuel additive

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Also sorry for the multiple posts, but i tracked and logged 35-45 more miles when using premium over regular. And the factors were the same. it was the same commute this summer 20 miles each way at 45-70 mph speeds

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
essentially though a tune is the best way to take advantage of higher octande fuels(= pm TOM!

·
Registered
578 Posts
theres nothing wrong with sea foam. if you have never tried it before and your worried about dumping a can into the intake and hydro locking the thing.... thats not how you do it. you locate a small vacuum line behind the throttle and allow it to suck up the liquid. you want to control the amount it sucks up so that it doesnt flood the engine. once 75% has been consumed then you give it all until it stalls out. the liquid will vaporize and attack any carbon deposits. allow it to do this for ~10 minutes. then start the car and give it the beans. it may thow a code because the car thinks there is a fuel delivery problem. ie it sees rich and cuts back the injectors but to no affect

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
Higher octane fuels keep your valves cleaner because the addtives used to increase the octane are the same thing used in fuel system cleaners it has been proven. Its not really a dent in your wallet its actually cheaper than buying an additive and pouring it in. A full fillup in my 2010 only yeilds about 3 dollars more per fill up to use High octane. it costs about 20-30 cents more per gallon over regular fuel. so think if you get ten gallons of gas which is about a typically fill up thats only 2-3 dollars more! that vs $5+ for a fuel additive
not to be a smart [bootyshak but could you show where this was proven? i kinda want to try if this is the case

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
not to be a smart [bootyshak but could you show where this was proven? i kinda want to try if this is the case
This is the issue.

Seems some folks want proof. Scientific sort of proof.
Well, none to be had. (I am certain plenty of papers in technical journals, but for the layperson, not much)
Tons of anticdotal stories and articles saying it makes absolutely no difference, just a waste of money.
Others, from trying it, say yes it gives better performance, or better mileage, or the engine seems to run better.
So that is why i wrote you have to try it for yourself and decide.

Also the engine and the CPU and the ability of the engine to advance the timing is everything in using Premium gas, and that info is also really hard to find. The Ford engineers do not seem to write about it, nor do any others.

Trying Premium? It wastes only a few bucks, and i would say to be fair you need to do at least two full tanks of Premium.
(So with a fill of 12 gallons times two, at $0.30 added per gallon the cost is a total of $7.20. to find out for yourself, and be able to write about your opinion after actually trying it: PRICELESS.

I use premium partly because my last car required premium (21mpg), and really lost mpg with regular (18mpg)

So I am actually sill waffling on it. I have used some regular, and some premium (actually mostly premium)
I have to say right now with the switch to 'Winter Formulation Gas" my MPGs have dropped just from that. So any experimenting cannot be with the old data from Summer formulation gas.
Anyway, this is one of those perennial quandries...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I am back. Higher octane only has a use in the custom tune world. There is no use for it in a stock car. Infact when mine was stock it ran BETTER on86 than 91 (We have shitty gas here.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts