Votes: 37 6.0%
  • other

Votes: 26 4.2%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
im getting HR coilovers and HR swaybars . will go nicely with my front and rear FS strut bars

·
Team Shocker #2
1,776 Posts
I have Tien-S springs KYB AGX dampers and an SVT rear swaybar

·
Registered
489 Posts
thefrush said:
Coilovers ftw.
Quoted for Truth!!

I love riding on Rails!!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I was planning on having the Eibach pro-system plus installed by the end of the month, but I had to spend $850 to have my transmission repaired at a dealership (long story, but I was out of town for work and couldn't wait for a transmission shop, and having it towed home would've been cost prohibitive.) So that pretty much cleaned my modding budget out for the next two months.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i have a question... i wanna get sportline springs for my car but wanna know if the pro dampers from eibach are the only option/ones that can go with the springs? also... what do you guys think of the Kazera springs on tire rack? good or bad? i really wanna lower my car and am on a budget rigth now... but i can always safe up for the sportline combo whne the price on them come down...

·
Registered
12 Posts
SVT

SVT kit - works very nice - dampens the rf tire bubble vibration until I spring for new tires (and hopefully new wheels) and a good alignment just before inspection. Hope they don't red card me for the Borla catback.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My previous car was a Volkswagen Jetta VR6. I "upgraded" the suspension to European GLI levels; the shocks and struts were Bilstein and the springs were "Euro" ride height - about 1.5" lower than U.S.-specification. The car really looked better - like what the German VW stylists probably had in mind - and it cornered like it was on rails. On a smooth surface, the car was an unmitigated GAS to drive! With 200 horses and 195 lb/ft of torque pulling less than a ton and a half of car, what a rush!

That was the up side. The down side was that the ride on the typical pocked, cratered and frost-heaved Wisconsin roads nearly ruptured my spleen. What's more, a collision at 35 mph with a fresh - and at night unseen - sinkhole (about a foot in diameter, six inches or so deep) on a downtown Madison, WI street took out the oilpan, bent the right lower control arm and cracked my right front aluminum wheel. After that expensive little episode (for which the city accepted NO responsibility), I restored the car to U.S. spec and while handling crispness and steering turn-in response suffered, on these crappy streets and roads, the extra ride height suddenly made a lot of sense and my butt and internal organs gave me heartfelt thanks.

My point is that in Europe, with its smooth and meticulously maintained roads, supported by sky-high fuel taxes, low and hunkering cars with relatively stiffer springs and shocks are great - especially on the glassy-smooth German Autobahn, with its high, or nonexistent, speed limits. Lower to the ground and stiffer knees mean greater high-speed stability and better fuel economy due to less frontal area, less drag from underbody airflow and less aerodynamic lift. And because the surfaces are maintained to pool table smoothness (Hitting an American Midwest-style frost heave at 200 clicks would launch you into low Earth orbit!), the ride is not punishing.

But this is America. The sad truth about American roads and highways is that most of them really suck. So adaptations and compromises on the part of automakers become a practical necessity. That means softer and higher off the ground. In short, the Ford suspension engineers seem to know what they are doing. In my opinion, the stock suspension settings (stiffer than on S or SE models, not as stiff as on STs) on my new 2006 Focus ZX4 SES are just about spot-on for real-world American driving conditions.

By the way, I HAVE lived and driven in Europe. The motoring grass is greener on the other side of the pond NOT just because it's the "other side," or because I'm an unpatriotic "Euro-phile," but because the grass really is greener! They have no secret for great roads; all it takes is money. They're willing to spend it, and for lots of really bad reasons, we aren't.

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
KW springs and shocks, H&R rear sway, FocusSport front and rear stress bars, and Energy Suspension bushings. My car will pull 1.0g with no problem when I've got the summer rubber on, the stock Pirellis just oversteer...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well Said "bonejob"!
You’re right in some parts of this big country the roads wreak!

I lived in Main for a few years and much like Wisconsin the frost heaves wreaked havoc with the roads. Of course in Main you also have to watch out for Pulp Logs, 3 foot long and up to 18 inches in diameter, lying on the road as well so driving was lost of fun!

The roads in Colorado aren’t quit as bad. My "SE" had pretty soft suspension to begin with so an upgrade to the "SVT" kit was a good choice for my area and vehicle. Your areas driving surfaces, vehicle and intended purpose should dictate your suspension choice.

The engineers at Ford have to contend with all these problems world wide so some areas will get different setups.
Fortunately for us we also have choices and Ford seems to accommodate most of us fairly well although their not too forth coming with information.
Which makes this site really great.

So we could opt for the "SES" springs and dampers for a medium ride, The "ST" gear for a bit firmer ride, the "SVT" kit for a bit stiffer ride still or go balls-to-the-wall with aftermarket stuff. And you could keep going with strut tower braces, anti-sway bars, camber blots...
Sweet!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Currently I have the new FRPP/Multimatic suspension with the 25mm rear Eibach sway bar.

Next week I'll be installing a prototype Vogtland fully adjustable Coilover race setup.... Thanks to F2Focus [thumb]

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I am riding on my stock SVT suspension and I only plan to get a larger front and rear sway bars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree with Bonejob as well. I live in northern NY, 25 minutes from the Canadian border kind of north. I have to agree with road conditions having to play a factor. Last year I bought Tein springs with the intent of a 2 inch drop on my '03 ZX-3. I was waiting to purchase dampers before I made the swap with the intent of autocrossing my focus this summer. I have some what come to my senses. I love the look of the lowered Foci on this site and I know it works for other people, but I think a SVT set-up would be a good compromise for me. I have driven a friends SVT and I think it would still give me the winter snow clearence I would need. It can snow 6 months out of the year here. While I know it's not something everyone has to worry about, I have two children (7and 2) an a wife, who also occationally ride with me. With a two inch drop every time I hit a highway joint their Star Wars figures would fly out of their hands and into the back of my head!! Okay, probly not, but I doubt they would be as comfortable as they would be with a SVT set-up. Like I said I have to consider that, not all of you do. I'm still going to autocross it this summer for the fun of it. From what I've read most SVT owner are reluctant to change their stock set-up. Logic would dictate it is already a pretty good set-up. What do you think?

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
when i added the svt set up, the only thing i changed out was the rear sway bar to progress 22mm. i love how it handles on the autocross coarse. i also have crappy roads!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
H&R Cup Kit, H&R Front Bar (24mm), Steeda Rear bar (28.6mm), Steeda Front strut bar, Focus Sport Rear Stress Bar, Auto Power Rollbar, SPC Camber plates, Prothane rear suspension bushings/ Endlinks.

41 - 60 of 211 Posts