Votes: 2 8.3%
  • PROBLEMS 05/06 Steeda Duratec Intake w/2.3

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fo' SHO has posted that he has had problems/loss of power with the Steeda intake.

But since my install of the Steeda unit a couple of weeks ago, I can report nothing but good things.

So, let's get some more input here on this one.

>>>This Poll is for the 05/06 Steeda intake only!(as pictured below)<<<

·
Registered
301 Posts
I cant vote for you yet because mine is still sitting next to my PC here with my focussport excal II, but my borla should be here tomorrow (26th) and im hoping for an install day with pictures and a quick review next weekend. ill be sure to vote here and post a link for ya!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I sold my Steeda intake to my friend who drives an 05 ST. There seems to be no problem with it on a 2.3. I think the problem only occurs with 2.0s. Keep in mind I live in south Texas where my under hood temps are well above 140*.

At least you 2.3 ST drivers cant hear it! That thing is SO freaking loud!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fo' SHO said:
I sold my Steeda intake to my friend who drives an 05 ST. There seems to be no problem with it on a 2.3. I think the problem only occurs with 2.0s.
I still don't get why that is.

Keep in mind I live in south Texas where my under hood temps are well above 140*.
Same temps that the 2.3 has to deal with, right?

At least you 2.3 ST drivers cant hear it! That thing is SO freaking loud!
Why would the Steeda intake be louder on a 2.0 than on a 2.3?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The ST exhaust is at least 20 times louder than mine.

Correct, the under hood temps should be similar. However, I believe that Steeda engineered the intake for a 2.3. You people up north don't have the horrible heat issue with your 2.0 so perhaps that will cancel out some design incompatibility.

For the rest in the hot south who say the Steeda intake is okay. Have you track tested it? That is how I judge all my modifications.

Also, are you willing to admit you spent 240 dollars on something that makes your car slower? Most would answer "no" and pay more attention to the noise swayed 'butt dyno'. I’ve made my mistakes and want others to skip these costly pseudo-performance mods.

Although if you like noise, I say “To each his own.” [thumb]

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fo' SHO said:
... For the rest in the hot south who say the Steeda intake is okay. Have you track tested it? That is how I judge all my modifications.
Well, it's rained every Test/Tune since I got the Steeda Intake, and last week I put on a 2 1/4" cat-back. So next time I'm up at the track, both of those items will coming into play (removing the stock intake was a royal pain, so I don't anticipate putting that monstrosity back on anytime in the near future).

Also, I will be dyno testing my car later this week (once again, with both of those mods).

Also, are you willing to admit you spent 240 dollars on something that makes your car slower?
Sure I would. But I have yet to see any evidence that would suggest otherwise.

Also buddy ...

Would you be willing to admit that the Steeda works just fine on other people's cars?

That maybe there was something that was "off" the day you used/tested it on your car?

That when you did the "back-to-back" testing, that the vehicle's computer had yet had a chance to adjust to the extra air that it had been provided?

It's just that I don't see how it is physically possible that the 6 ft. long air choker that Ford had installed can be just as restrictive as a Steeda/Stealth intake.

It's like it actually defies the Law of Physics ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think that everyone should agree the steeda is in NO WAY more restrictive than the stock... that is just obvious. on the other hand, it dose replace the maf and move the location of it. I would bet that if anyone is experiencing a loss of power with the steeda, its going to be due to that playing games with the A/F ratio with stock fule tables. esp on a 2.0 and the under hood temps.
If this is true, then with a proper tune you should see a big improvment over the stock intake. and I just so happen to be installing the steeda on my 2.0 and I have a tune for my car once everything is on so ill let you know if im right.
also im just curious, what other mods do you have fosho?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Big fat 17" chrome wheels. Otherwise I am 100% stock.

·
Registered
314 Posts
firemanfrank said:
Well, it's rained every Test/Tune since I got the Steeda Intake, and last week I put on a 2 1/4" cat-back. So next time I'm up at the track, both of those items will coming into play (removing the stock intake was a royal pain, so I don't anticipate putting that monstrosity back on anytime in the near future).

Also, I will be dyno testing my car later this week (once again, with both of those mods).

Sure I would. But I have yet to see any evidence that would suggest otherwise.

Also buddy ...

Would you be willing to admit that the Steeda works just fine on other people's cars?

That maybe there was something that was "off" the day you used/tested it on your car?

That when you did the "back-to-back" testing, that the vehicle's computer had yet had a chance to adjust to the extra air that it had been provided?

It's just that I don't see how it is physically possible that the 6 ft. long air choker that Ford had installed can be just as restrictive as a Steeda/Stealth intake.

It's like it actually defies the Law of Physics ...

In an earlier thread, I said it worked fine on my friend's ST.

Day? I tested it for a month and over 500 miles before I finally decided it was a lost cause. I checked for problems, cleaned MAF ect. Every time I checked/installed something I did a battery reset which aside from losing my trip every time, accomplished nothing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yay, got my stuff installed over the weekend! so far I love the way my intake feels and sounds. My only problem is I cant seem to get it to fit exatcly right...
Any suggestions? after only about 24hrs my filter fell off and the maf was sucking straight up hot engine compartment unfilterd air... it just seems like the whole rubber hose/maf/air-filter assembly is either too short or maby its because I have and auto and the cruse control box moves part of the heat shield assembly...
Either way, I took the two small screws off of the top of the heat shield so the filter could move slightly twords the engine and releive some pressure. so now my heat shield isent shielding any heat.
anyone have this much troubble getting it all to fit just right? or am I the only one here with a 05 zx3 auto with cruze control and the steeda sri???

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
metallicanick78 said:
... My only problem is I cant seem to get it to fit exatcly right... after only about 24hrs my filter fell off and the maf was sucking straight up hot engine compartment unfilterd air...
I read about this before, microtonal had posted in a different thread saying that he had similar problems.

Steeda Intake Installed (PICS!)

I checked mine a few days ago (my intake has been on for a couple of weeks now), and so far all is go! No loose parts! (and I have cruise control as well).

But I tell you what, I screwed those clamps down VERY TIGHTLY. VERY tightly.

(to me, the end of the air filter seems to be "slightly" too large for the MAF tube - I would have preferred a snugger fit to begin with).

Originally posted by Fo' SHO
I checked for problems, cleaned MAF ect. Every time I checked/installed something I did a battery reset which aside from losing my trip every time, accomplished nothing.
With the Stealth CAI, you said that you were having various problems, including poor idling. That the problems went away when you put your stock intake back on.

strange idling

Then you say that you've had problems with the Steeda unit too?

So that's why I started this poll, to see if anyone else has had difficulties with the Steeda intake.

So far, it's:

93% - NO PROBLEMS
7% -- PROBLEMS

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just checked my air filter connection to the Steeda MAF tube.

All is solid and tight!

Either the 2.3 allows for a tad more "stretch" than the 2.0, or you guys aren't tightening down your clamps nearly as much as you should be.

Also, the only issue that I could see with the Steeda Intake is that the MAF tube is made of metal.

So (to alleviate that potential "hot spot") I've ordered an "Air Intake Tube Cover" that I'm going to be placing over Steeda's MAF tube. It's 36" long, so I'll take the leftover and try to cover Steeda's metal air filter heat shield as well:

Design Engineering Air Intake Tube Cover Kit
Cool Cover™
36" Long x 14" Wide
Cut to Fit - Part Number: 010417
Price: $54.94

That ought'a keep the radiant heat away from everything!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm pretty sure the stealth CAI had the idle issue simply because there was no way to straighten any air to properly meter at idle. However, the stealth cost nothing but time for me to try and return to stock so I've got no problem with it.

The Steeda intake seemed to murder low end small throttle response and power. Also it seemed to drop my average mileage by about 3 MPG. I like being able to drive my Focus just like I do a Mustang (never having to shift above 2,200 RPM while giving 1/8th throttle). To me the Steeda killed the above average drivability that my Focus came with stock. Not to mention it made my car no faster to slower [confused]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Depends on what you consider better. I had a '96 Eclipse with an AEM CAI and was dropped 4". Obviously, ppl say be careful with hydrolock with CAI. I guess. Never had problems with it and it rains a good amount here near Chicago. I'm not familiar with intakes for american cars, though I just bought a '06 ST so I'm learning as well. They all will have pretty close hp and tourque gains, as long as its CAI to CAI and no CAI to SRI. There is differences. AEM is reputable. K&N, ICEMAN, the list goes on. Just do research and make the best choice for you.

[8]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Steeda Works Fine

My 2005 Focus ST with the Steeda CAI acts the same as before; great low end torque and luggability; Gas mileage (Shell regular) recently 31 mpg in stopngo and 70 mph with the a/c on in 95 degree temps. No heat soak after a hot stop. Everything fits fine. I have not had a chance to test the all-out acceleration with the Steeda yet; too much traffic.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I have the steed intake on my ST, it DID make a difference, not just butt dyno, butt vs. friends cars doing pulls, it pulls a lot harder then it did before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just tossing my two cents into this OLD thread. I have issues with the fact that it is VERY loud compared to the stock set-up. I'd much rather see something made of ABS plastic all around. The aluminum needs some sound deadening. I do notice better throttle response and performance with the intake after 50k miles or so on my 05.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts