Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed and waxed my car this weekend. It sure feels good to know your car is looking it's best. I also RainXed the windows, and vaccumed the interior (not that it really needed it too bad.) It looks great and I've already had compliments from people in my apartment complex. I really don't know why I had the urge to post this, I guess just to see if others out there get the same feeling of satisfaction from a clean car.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I wash my car every week during the summer. I wash with dawn, then clay bar, then wash with dawn again, then wax with Top of the Line Trade Secret Carnauba wax. Two coats for the car, 4 for the hood. Second week I wash with mequiars car wash, and then a quick once over wax with TOTL Trade Secret Wax. Keeps the car shiny and happy.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
wash every 2 weeks and a wax i try every month. Infact i'm waxing today since it's like 80 outside

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, about every two weeks I take it to the car-wash where they hand-wash it - I live in an apt complex, no way I could do it myself [:(]

They do a pretty good job - compared to the other's I tried - but I have to go through the car like clean the windows properly, etc afterwards. I know, it's really hard to please me, so probably no one could wash my car the way I would like it [;)]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I love my car, but seriously, I'm married to my job and work my ass off to move myself up. Without a good job, how can I invest in my car anyways? Just this weekend for instance, 8am-11pm, that's 14 hours on saturday, sunday was 8am-8pm, 12 hours, and today was 6:30-4:30, 10 hours. I don't have enough time to wash my car. When I do though, always do it by hand, those car washes always rash your wheels and never get the car totally clean. I take to a a do it yourself wash, wash the rims real nice, dry the car by hand, vacuum the insides and get some glass cleaner too. I Especially don't have the time to buff/wax the car, I have a buffer and the professional grade waxes, but that'd take a full day to do.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wish I could wash my car but washington has bad falls and winters.i wont be able to wash my car for maybe the next 6 months. When summer comes i wash and wax daily. Never will u see my car with a water spot or any kind of dirt.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
CowsGoMoo said:
Isn't it bad for your car's paintjob to repeatedly wax it? I can understand once a month, or even a season, but daily would be doing more harm than good?
Depends on what you use and how you do it. If you use a cleaner wax such as turtle wax and many others, then yes repeated waxing can scratch, and draw oils out of the clear coat and potentially harm it. If you don't clay bar, you can scratch the clear coat and cause swirling. If you clay bar every second time you wax, use a good wax stripping soap (Dawn is the best IMO) and use a high quality carnauba wax, you would have no problems. Carnauba will replace the oils in the clear coat and protect much better than almost all cleaner waxes. Of course it costs about 2-3 times as much.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
i try to wash it every week...
but since it s almost imposible i stick with everyother week...

and i try o wax the car every month...

to wash the car i have to wakeup early o sundays (7 am) so the sun doesnt leave spots onthe paint...and i usually end arround noon....

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I wash my car once a week. If it's really dirty I take it through the automatic and I always vacuum it out once a week as well. I wax whenever I feel like it. Usually every 1 and a half months.

·
Registered
639 Posts
yeah winter sucks bad. ill usually go to one of those coin operated car washes every other week just to get the salt off the car. but it really sucks, becuase by the time im done washing it off, the water freezes on the entire car.

in the summer, i usually wash it about twice a week. it gets a good polish and wax every month. meguiars all the way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
yeah winter sucks bad. ill usually go to one of those coin operated car washes every other week just to get the salt off the car. but it really sucks, becuase by the time im done washing it off, the water freezes on the entire car.

in the summer, i usually wash it about twice a week. it gets a good polish and wax every month. meguiars all the way.

·
Registered
317 Posts
CowsGoMoo said:
Isn't it bad for your car's paintjob to repeatedly wax it? I can understand once a month, or even a season, but daily would be doing more harm than good?

Yes it is, atleast I would think so. I see peps posting once a month and stuff, and that's just too much. I could understand maybe once a year or at most every six months, depending upon ones preference. This is why cars have clearcoat on them now, so waxing isn't as much as a priority as it used to be. It's been my understanding, if you wax it too much, you will get a wax build up. I'm not sure what that does or causes, but I wouldn't want to find out. Most factory recommendations or every couple of years, even though I know it's not always good to go buy factory recommendations. I personally wouldn't do it until the water quits beading up, or if it looks dull. I've had mine a lil over a yr, and try to wash it atleast once a week, but here lately due to the weather it's been every couple of weeks. It shines as good as the day I bought it and the water still beads up as it did when I first got it. I'm sure it also depends on what you use to wash it with as well. Certain soaps will strip the shine or the wax off of cars. I have always and will never use anything other than xip car wax soap by turtle wax. I've even gotten compliments on peps cars that I detail about how much different and better it looks after I washed it with that. It has always done wonders for me and wouldn't even think about trying anything else.

·
Registered
565 Posts
wash my car about once a week (when i'm home from school) and wax it every other month w/ maguire's. black looks best when it's clean :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts