Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a po171( bank 1 system to lean) code right now on my car. At idle it runs rough and will sometimes die. Driving there's no issue though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,352 Posts
Check for a collapsed pcv hose coming out of the back of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks fine? First thing I checked. It "clips" into the fitting correct?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It would be very helpful if you stated what year and engine you have and the mileage. There were 3 engines. The zetec double overhead cams. The SPI single overhead cam. And the 2.3l duratec.

·
Registered
16,203 Posts
I would respond but typing and the thinking it requires hurts me as much as it likely does the OP............they want you to help them more than they help themselves. It's like pulling teeth.

The 'Nobody?' just makes it worse, I'm important, pay attention to ME!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be very helpful if you stated what year and engine you have and the mileage. There were 3 engines. The zetec double overhead cams. The SPI single overhead cam. And the 2.3l duratec.
I thought it was in my sig. Simple mistake. It's a 2002 zetec, zx5 mileage is around 124k.
I would respond but typing and the thinking it requires hurts me as much as it likely does the OP............they want you to help them more than they help themselves. It's like pulling teeth.

The 'Nobody?' just makes it worse, I'm important, pay attention to ME!
Pretty ignorant to talk to someone like that. Most forums I frequent are pretty active and people help often and reply often including me. Not used to no replies in a few days. Excuse me your heiness.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I thought it was in my sig. Simple mistake. It's a 2002 zetec, zx5 mileage is around 124k.Pretty ignorant to talk to someone like that. Most forums I frequent are pretty active and people help often and reply often including me. Not used to no replies in a few days. Excuse me your heiness.

AMC knows his stuff. The man is smart. Just comes kind of rough.

Unfortunately many people here just ask questions and don't help much that's probably why you really didn't receive a response.
My advice is to search search search because this problem well this code is a very popular topic.
Most of the time it's a vacuum leak. Not always.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've watched videos, read what I can find. I can't find any issues. I think I can hear air but I can't pinpoint the spot for the life of me. It sounds like its near the throttle body, but all the vacuum lines look fine, don't see any obvious holes or cracks. Would spraying some soapy water show me the leak?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That would show you a pressure leak not a vacuum leak. Use something like throttle body spray. Spray around the area you think is leaking and listen for a change in engine note.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would show you a pressure leak not a vacuum leak. Use something like throttle body spray. Spray around the area you think is leaking and listen for a change in engine note.

Ah thank you! I'll have to try that tomorrow. Is there a rubber oring on the pvc valve where it connects to the block? Thats the only place I can figure is that piece where it clips on.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ah thank you! I'll have to try that tomorrow. Is there a rubber oring on the pvc valve where it connects to the block? Thats the only place I can figure is that piece where it clips on.

Not sure. AMC would be the man to ask.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The pcv hose can look fine. They collapse under vacuum. The rubber should not feel squishy. You need to remove it and bend it around looking for cracks. At 152k I guarantee you it needs replacing if it hasn't before.

·
Registered
16,203 Posts
Yes, they will look fine and be garbage. The rubber bubblegums up from exposure to fuel vapor and then it sucks small holes that can even reseal to run perfect for a month until the next time. The hose simply uses a one time use clamp at the manifold, you ruin it removing but a standard worm drive clamp will work if you push it up close and tighten just enough to be tight but not collapse the short plastic stub that sticks out to barely be grabbed.

Vacuum leak will show on a realtime data log of the O2S1, the voltage average will be low below .5 volt and why the lean code logs. Proof it's leaking.

Ignorant I am and ignorant I'll stay but I'll make a $1000 today.........does somebody think I would actually stick around here just to insult people and be ignorant for 16,037 posts? Surely you jest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so the piece with the red is the pcv valve correct? If i spray carb cleaner below it at the rubber vacuum line it kicks up in idle. But theres other lines near it. So trying to narrow it down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok. Found the issue below those lines in the picture i posted theres a larger rubber hose with some type of metal clip that goes around and ito a metal barb fitting on driver side of engine that ends up going to the PCV valve.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts