Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello,

Would anyone know what would cause both codes to occur at same time? Was driving down the freeway. After about 25 minutes of driving the Emission light display on dashboard. No noticeable driving issues nothing to smell, see, feel, or hear that don't seem right. Only thing is Codes appear, light comes on stays on. No reset of disconnecting of battery done yet to see if codes come back. There is no loss of fluid or needle indicator on dash of Excessive heat in engine either. So I am stumped??? Please help

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 - 85 k currently

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Thermostat code is usually for an engine running colder than usual, not hotter.

The second is an odd one for communication to the alternator, possible trouble with the wiring to that.

Both odd enough to reset & see if they pop up again or are spurious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sailor,

Update had codes read again. NO PO625 shown 2nd reading 2 days later. However, the other code PO128 is still displaying MIL light remains on but does not blink. Has not blinked either. No change in needle as in appearing to over heat. No displacement of Engine Coolant/ or loss of any. No leaks. Heat does seem as if its not up to par. Think I will go with what you suggested Thermostat.

Do you know of a good instructional which shows steps and tools needed? As for the other code PO625 pretty much waiting till it remains on or something can be seen, heard, felt, or smell. Don't know what else to do on that one. Battery was tested and shows a solid charge. Which to me suggests that the alternator is securely connected also. That tells me its ok also.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Here's a link to a post listing the test mode details so you can check actual temps:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7735337&postcount=5

Don't have one for thermostat replacement handy if needed, not easy as it's on the front lower passenger side of the engine. Two housings avail. BTW, check yours for whether it has a temp. sensor or not to get the right one if you get in there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for check information though. Im gonna keep fishing somewhere it exists. I noticed the how to complete list. But I think that applies to Z tec if Im not mistaken. So its a matter of determining if it could also apply to ZX4 2006 Focus I have also. Noticed a few videos online of an 03 and 05 procedure. But once again we obviously have to be SURE not sorta of sure. If anyone else reading this has something to offer no matter how little please add to it.

Thanks Sailor....

Regards,

Chris

Obviously, Im interested in Bolt sizes for all components. Whether its necessary to unloosen serpentine belt, Remove passenger motor mount, disconnect and move to side AC/ Compressor. Then remove Thermostat Housing.

I suspect there is an easier way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I FOUND instructions from ALLDATA per 2006 ford focus 2.0 L

1. Note: Thermostat and Thermostat housing are serviced as an assembly
With the vehicle in neutral, position it on hoist. For additional information, refer to maintenance/ Service and repair.

2. Remove the air conditioning compressor. For additional information, refer to heating and Air Conditioning.
3. Drain Cooling System
4. Remove the cooling Fan motor and shroud.
5. Release the Spring -Style clamps and disconnect the radiator and heater hoses from the Thermostat Housing.
6. Remove the 3 bolts, Thermostat housing and thermostat as an assembly.
^ to install, tighten to 10 NM ( 89 inch lbs )

7. NOTE: Lubricate the thermostat housing O-Ring with clean engine Coolant.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
8. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

=================================================

Ok when I look at these instructions most of it makes sense.

Step 1------ Means to me do not separately attempt to replace a piece buy as whole component rather piece meal it.

Step 2-------- Do I need to take off engine mount by jacking under oil pan with board under it? Then loosen serpentine belt which would allow me to unbolt Air conditioning Compressor. This would allow it to be moved a little aside to gain access to thermostat? Is that the correct understanding?

Step 3-------I am completely aware of Draining and filling coolant in system.

STep 4------- What exactly is cooling fan motor and shroud? Are these merely just connections that need to be disconnected temporarily?

Step 5------ is self explanatory there are hoses which connect to thermostat housing carefully remove them so as not to damage them.

STep 6-------Remove 3 bolts from thermostat housing. Be sure to lubricate O-Ring with new Clean Engine Coolant.

sTep 7------- is self explanatory

Thanks for reading this. If someone could elabortate to me about STEP 2 and STEP 4 Id greately appreciate it......

For AC Compressor it says remove bolts and Drive belt cover? IM assuming this implies to loosen the Serpentine belt first?
For Coolin fan Motor and shroud what exactly is this?

Don't mean to sound redundant just trying to clarify understanding of 2 specific steps which are unclear in procedure of doing replacement of Thermostat.

The following 2 steps are unclear to me please help.

Step 2-------- Do I need to take off engine mount by jacking under oil pan with board under it? Then loosen serpentine belt which would allow me to unbolt Air conditioning Compressor. This would allow it to be moved a little aside to gain access to thermostat? Is that the correct understanding?

STep 4------- What exactly is cooling fan motor and shroud? Are these merely just connections that need to be disconnected temporarily?

lastly if ANYONE knows the TORQ or bolt sizes that would be appreciated.

Serpentine belt loosener bolt sizes? and torq
Engine MOunt Bolts sizes? and torg
AC compressor Bolts sizes? And torq
Thermostat bolts size?

Everyone does things a little different. This is how I procede with different repairs. Make sure I understand procedure(s) while getting bolt sizes if available and torq for each bolts removed per different parts.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
#2 - I'm not sure why you're thinking of dealing with the engine mount. Should be able to move the tensioner to release the serpentine from the A/C compressor, then unbolt & move aside enough for access without disconnecting the hoses to the compressor.

#4 - Fan motor/shroud refers to the cooling fan assy. on the back of the radiator. Disconnecting & dropping that out would give a lot more space to work in for thermostat access.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I seen it necessary to undo motor mount to gain access to the said bolt you were referring to?

" Should be able to move the tensioner to release the serpentine from the A/C compressor, then unbolt & move aside enough for access."

Do you happen to know where instructions are for this process? What should someone expect when they losen this bolt? How do you know you put it back together properly? Isnt it a serpentine belt which is being loosened?

While these might seem like common sense questions to someone who has done it often or before. I have never meddled with the tensioner bolt or serpentine belt. Am I assuming its the same thing? Do you happen to know wrench or socket size for this bolt? Ok so if I understand this right using the correct wrench / socket simply loosen this tensioner bolt Keyword/ Loosen. Then the belt will slide off of the AC Compressor? My concern is when putting belt back on AC compressor will it interfere with other pulleys or whatever else the belt rests on?

This procedure is probably the most confusing to me. Sorry about the all questions; but it helps me understand better what to expect once its taken apart. Getting it apart is not the issue. Its what to expect look for when putting it back together. What do I watch for so that the Serpentine belt is securely positioned where it was such that I know for certain its on right again?

Thankyou Sailor for responding to me about this.

Regards,

Somethin2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was basing procedure on 2005 procedures. Sometimes they are similar plus minus a year either way. It looks like this, but he uses a different name. He calls it a power steering pump. The ALL DATA calls it Air conditioning compressor. It is possible that he called it by the wrong name?

How to replace a thermostat in a 2005 Ford Focus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WL3PYyBoC8

@ 3:25- 4:10 Engine mount obstructing accessory belt bolt, reason for removal of Engine mount. However he didn't mention supporting vehicle underneath with board between jack and oil pan. SO that engine doesn't fall or slip position while removing. At least I didn't hear him say that.

@ 4:10- 4:27 forwards he talks about power steering pump removal and set aside do not disconnect hoses. In Alldata and Haynes manual it says part is called; an AC Compressor

Then it says go to remove cooling fan motor and shroud in Haynes and ALLDATA manuals?

When I compare my 2006 engine layout to what is shown in video above it looks identical. I wonder why they would call it a Power Steering Pump- When its an AC COMPRESSOR? Does AC compressor and Power Steering pump mean same thing?

Cooling fan and shroud? Is this just merely disconnection of some connector pieces of is it liken to removing a auto part in its whole? Now you can see how I am confused. If it can be narrowed down more about what to expect would be nice.

1. Loosening of ACCESORY BELT? What would expect when its put back together? How tight should it be is there a tool or just go by feel? How will I know that Serpentine belt doesn't slip off of something in process? As you are aware the tension is loosened or is it not enough to cause the configuration to be changed?

2. Coolin Fan and Motor removal procedures? Unclear what this means.

So in recap what is unknown is steps for ensuring proper reassembly of ACCESSORY BELT. In consideration of bolts retightened for AC COMPRESSOR. Im going to call it an AC COMPRESSOR as the Haynes manual and alldata have yet to do me wrong. Additionally COoling fan motor and shroud? How do I do this part? I believe I completely understand all other steps. Don't mean to sound redundant in explaning this. Just showing why I was saying what I said what it was based off of. WHile attempting to point out where unclear of something. Perhaps anothers insight would clear up my confusion such as yours interpretation of what I found.

Thanks Again,

Somethin2

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm unsure where to begin, and I can't give a blow by blow description anyways for yours myself.

You might want to start by looking at the actual pieces more, and at more pictures of them to help understand what is what, and what is where. (so to speak).

Serpentine belt is called that because it "serpentines" around all the drive & driven pulleys of the engine with a single belt - and that belt is "tensioned" by a spring loaded "tensioner" that swings a pulley to provide the tensioning force. To remove/replace it, the tensioner is swung in a direction that will loosen the belt, then the belt is removed from at least one pulley so the tensioner can be released. Then it can be removed from others as necessary.

Fan assy. questions? You've gotta go take a look at it to understand. It's a plastic framework that includes the fan ducting & motor mounting for the fans - one piece assembly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The insight definitely helps thankyou.

I did happen upon some usefull information last night after I had posted this above. IT has a better pictures then what I have through ALLDATA or Haynes manual. It was found on here. About the motor fan/ shroud that helps me know what to expect when taking it apart thanks appreciated. The later describes it but you can tell im searching for more about what will happen as its taken apart what will happen as its put back together the Serpentine belt I mean. realizing that the whole belt isn't taken off just loosened yes.

Thanks Sailor.

Regards,

Somethin2

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Somethin2 - I read your questions in DCorwin's thread, it seems you're still missing the point when we say the serpentine tensioner is spring loaded.

You aren't unbolting it, or bolting it back up to adjust tension - you just swing it against the tension of the spring to move it enough to free the belt, then do the same for installation of the belt. Once you release it (smoothly & carefully), the spring swings it tight against the belt - thereby applying the proper tension.

A rather stiff spring, takes some effort to move it & you want to ease it to the relaxed position carefully when the belt is removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts