Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about puting 17" or 18" weels and tires on my 05 ZX3
has anyone done this and what did you see for a differance?? i mainly want to see more MPG,the tires i was quoted are one inch wider and the guy says i will have a noticable gain in performance ( i would hope so with Z rated tires )

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You certainly won't see a mpg improvement, that is unless you're going to a lightweight racing wheel of the same diamter as stock.

·
2,272 Posts
Almost everyone has done it. Yes you will see a very noticeable improvement in performance and style.

Go only as high as 17" if you must. 17s are bad enough with the stock brakes, anything more is just asking for problems.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Centerline makes some lightweight 17's that will work with 215/45/17 tires and weigh within 1 lb of stock weight. Rota also makes lightweight 17's which can get very close to stock weight of wheel and tire combo- at least the same weight as my 15 stock aluminums with 195/60/15 tires that weigh 36lbs inflated.

The problem with the Centerline wheels is that the offset is low, around 40mm and will probably not do well with a lowered car. Rotas will fit better, and if you go with the 16's or 15's I think the Slipstream style is so light that you will definately see some gains in both categories. You can check for yourself at ZX Tuner.com Rob's prices are really great.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
sir alpha i am actually thinking of doing the sAme to my but i want 18's cause there BIGGER :) but yeah im ganna get them this winter so i have them for spring... still dont know what i want or anything but SD_Focus what would happen with the brakes if i went with 18's

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They'd look incredibly tiny and not stop as well due to the greater polar moment of inertia.

·
2,272 Posts
I do not feel that my brakes perform as well as they should with my 17" wheels. I have had some close calls on the street, so I plan on upgading to SVT brakes soon. You will notice a decrease in your braking power.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As of right now I'm using 18 x 7.5 rims I haven't had any brake issues in the past 5,000 mi I put on the car with my rim setup, and I drive it pretty hard, Yes I do plan on upgrading the brakes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just went up to 17s with a 215/40 tire and I haven't noticed any braking problems. Only a slight decrease in acceleration, but not in breaking. Will see if I still have the acceleration problem when I get them filled with nitrogen, like my others wheels were.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Nitrogen will not help with acceleration. Nitrogen just slows the amount of pressure loss, and extends the tire life since its inert and won't react with anything.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
sir alpha said:
i am thinking about puting 17" or 18" weels and tires on my 05 ZX3
has anyone done this and what did you see for a differance?? i mainly want to see more MPG,the tires i was quoted are one inch wider and the guy says i will have a noticable gain in performance ( i would hope so with Z rated tires )
What do you want? MPG or performance? Because with tires, it usually opposites. Typically, if you want MPG, you want small, narrow wheels, like a 185/65-14. If you want performance, you want a wider tire with a smaller sidewall, like a 215/45-16.

If you want the best performance, get a wheel that just clears your brakes. Seeing how its a 2005, that would be a 15" wheel. Get a nice lightweight 15" wheel, possibly 7" wide, and fit some sticky tires on it, and you'll have an awesome handling setup.

With advances in tire technology, bigger wheels aren't for performance anymore. Its either to clear massive brake systems, or "just fo'sho".

·
Registered
124 Posts
cruzstyle said:
yes the bigger rim u get should always mean bigger brakes thats a very common overlook
Yes, if you do increase the weight and overall diameter, the stock brakes may not cut it anymore, but only if it's a race car, otherwise just get some good pads.

However, usually it's the other way around. If you get bigger wheels, its because you needed them to fit over bigger brakes that you needed to dissipate all that heat from your racecar.

Of course, wider is better (yay Pontiac), so ideally, you would just put a shorter sidewall tire on the shortest and widest wheel that will fit, and change your final drive as needed to compensate. But of course 15-inchers just don't cut it visually, and that's Ford's fault for building a bubble car that needs big bubble wheels to look right. And since Ford only builds it because customers demand it, its all your fault! All you people![:D]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a question... I was just reading about air dams and there was a short paragraph on lowering the front of your car slightly more than the rear to create a low pressure underbody by reduceing airflow which increases downforce. you guys think this could be done by just putting 16s in the front and 17s in the rear? or even just 16s all around but a taller profile on the rear?

·
Registered
295 Posts
metallicanick78 said:
I have a question... I was just reading about air dams and there was a short paragraph on lowering the front of your car slightly more than the rear to create a low pressure underbody by reduceing airflow which increases downforce. you guys think this could be done by just putting 16s in the front and 17s in the rear? or even just 16s all around but a taller profile on the rear?
That very well may result in the desired effect, but also has some undesired effects as well. With traction control, it is set for a certain wheel and tire diameter, so if you have two different sized wheel and tire combinations, and one or the other is not that set diameter, you may be going down the highway at 65, and all of a sudden start slowing down, because the engine pulls timing, spark or fuel, depending on how Ford does it, since it would sense the wheels moving at different speeds, just something to think about.

·
Registered
301 Posts
true, but I dont have traction control, thank god... that dose bring up another good question too though. which wheels dose the ecu use to determin road speed? I have an excall II so i can adjust for either, but i would need to know which one. maby I can actually do this too (talk the fiancee into it) because one of my tires is getting kinda low... so I think I might have to replace them all... and the wheels too...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Egz said:
Nitrogen will not help with acceleration. Nitrogen just slows the amount of pressure loss, and extends the tire life since its inert and won't react with anything.
It actually bleeds thru faster , but it doesnt change in pressure as much as air with heat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts