Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around reading the threads and have found them quite informative.

I have a small problem. I have a 2000 Focus ZTS and recently I ordered an ITG filter for it (arriving on Nov 2). Today, I decided to look at the filter I currently have. So I started unscrewing the screws holding the cover for the airbox. I was able to loosen 3 of the four of them. The fourth one just keeps on turning but would not unscrew! When I took a closer look, the bolt is screwed to a nut which has a gasket in between the nut and the plastic of the airbox. The nut and gasket does not turn on the other 3, on the fourth one (closest to the red battery wires) the nut and gasket sandwich is turning. I tried clamping the nut with a long nose pliers but to no avail. Maybe sometime this week if not the weekend I'll be removing the battery ( I hate that part) and try the long nose again. But honestly I don't know nor think I'll be able to remove the screw.[:(]

Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this? Any tool that could hold that tiny teeny nut and gasket sandwich thing? [?|]

Thanks!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Easy. Disconnect the hose clamp on the inlet hose, then pull the hose off. Move the hose out of the way. The box will pull straight up, it snaps into place, you may have to rock it some, but it will come off. Dont worry about breaking something pulling it off, there is nothing under there to break. Once out you can get the lid off.

Sometimes the threaded inser pops off the base. You might try tightening the screw back up to pull the insert back into the base. Once tight use your finger to hold it in iys place while unscrewing the screw.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried tightening it but it would neither tighten nor loosen: But I'll try your suggestion:) thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same shit happened to me bro. I was changing my oil, fuel filter and air filter. I couldn't unscrew the last bolt on the bottom left hand corner of the airbox. I tried every clamp tool i had. Nothing worked. The fool thing was stripped. Turns out that i broke the damn screw off. I took off a small piece of the box also, nothing to do major damage, but still i was upset. Try Twofocused suggestion, i just wish i would have thought of it myself.

No problem now though, my Volant is commin in about 2 days. Can't wait to install it...

·
Registered
507 Posts
is your ITG filter is a square filter or a coniqual filter?

if its a coniqual filter, you dont need the airbox, so here a easy way to remove it

first, the bottom part of the airbox is just snapped, its useless to open the airbox

you just need to uncrew the MAF from the airbox and move it away to let you some space to work

grab the airbox by the opening made for the MAF and under the resonator (opposite side) than pull it out (it need some muscle)

·
Registered
870 Posts
the itg is a panel filter....but that is how you remove the whole thing.....by adding a conical filter you will see better gains as well as better sound. Do a search and you will see a few people with just a cone filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah,

I was finnaly able to remove the darn thing. But Stallion and I had the same experienced. so I just ripped the plastic slot. There was enough plastic in the ripped plastic slot for me to have the screw and nut returned to it and serve some sort of hold on the box.

Hurt my back(again) yanking that airbox out. Oh well. Live and learn:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts