Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have an infinty amp with an mtx sub...well recently the amp has been turnin off or what seems to be turnin off...or overheating (the light comes on on the amp)...so my subs stop working...what setting on my amp should i change in order for the amp to handle the power....should i raise one of the settings? im not really familiar with audio setups so can anyone please help....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I think in order to answer this, we will need to know what amp and what sub you have, and if the sub is a dual voice coil sub (if it is, there will be four wires connecting to it instead of two).

Which light is turning on? Is it the light that says 'protect' underneath, or the one that says 'clip'. Have the sub and amp ever worked, or have they always done this?

I'm sure someone more knowledgeble than me will be along anytime now to help (*cough* focusincali *cough*).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok here is what I got:

A panasonic in-dash dvd 7" head-unit
A MTX 10" Subwoofer Thunder5500/Enclosure Package
A 2 Channel Infinity Amp rated at around 330Watts RMS

·
Registered
308 Posts
i would start at the beginning. this should be cake if you installed everything yourself. check to make sure your cables are all connected SECURELY (screws tightened, no bare leads touching, etc.). both to the amp and all applicable points on the vehicle and head unit. hopefully you have nice fat ones.

secondly, i'd look to make sure the ground cable that runs from your amp to the chasis of your car isn't any longer than it needs to be. this doesn't usually cause problems for people but it's always a possibility.

and last, make sure your amp has enough room around it to breathe. even 2-channel units that put out 300W or less generate plenty of heat. so if you're not using the trunk space, lay that puppy down right in the center. that's all i got. it might be the above our the remote lead on your head unit likes to play practical jokes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Is it the protect light that is flashing?

I agree, double check all of the wires. If one is shorting out to the chasis somehow, it could cause issues. I'm not too familiar with MTX subs, but is it a dual voice coil sub? If it is, make sure it is wired right and that the amp is rated to handle the correct ohm load.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea the protect light is flashing...what does that mean?

·
Registered
427 Posts
it means your amp is over heating and its turning itself off so it does not die.. Check your ground this is a very common problem if you ground sucks use a volt metter touch the ground with the black cable on the metter and the red one to your power wire if it does not say 12+ v your ground is the issue..

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Did this sub ever work with the amp, or has it always done this?

The reason I ask is because the protect light flashing could also mean that the amp is not able to handle the ohm load (resistance) of the sub.

If it just started doing this, then I would look to the ground cable. If it has always done it, then we will need to know is the sub is a single voice coil, or dual voice coil, and the model number of the amp (so we can look up the specs to see what it can handle).

If you need help figuring out if the sub is single or dual, here is sort of a general idea. If the box has one set of connectors on it (one positive, one negative) and you have one sub, it is probably single voice coil. If the box has two sets of connectors (two +, two -), it is a dual voice coil. However, this is only if you have one sub.

Also, there is a way to wire a dual voice coil sub so that there is only one set of connectors on the outside of the box, so this little 'test' may not be foolproof.

Hope this isn't too confusing......[thumb]

·
Registered
427 Posts
I thought it worked before from what his post says "well recently the amp has been turnin off" I asumed that meant it was working.. But what you said is also 100% correct we need to know if the sub is a single voice coil, or dual voice coil.. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea it just started doing this...it was fine at first when i got my system installed...so which wire is the ground wire...does it mean its not connected properly? to the amp? would it mean i have to change my ground wire?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
The black cable, or the thick wire attached to the Negative B- terminal on the amp...

Inspect the connection. The wire should lead to a screw connected to a common ground. (the chassis of the car). The connection needs to be metal-to-metal contact. Jiggle the wire, If it's loose, or has any play at all, Remove the screw. Sand the paint more, and install a lock washer and new screw.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^^

Could also be a dark brown cable.. For some reason black is no longer cool with amp makers :p my new kicker amp came witha brown one..

·
Registered
139 Posts
yea it just started doing this...it was fine at first when i got my system installed...so which wire is the ground wire...does it mean its not connected properly? to the amp? would it mean i have to change my ground wire
Umm, how long ago has it been since the sytem was installed. Maybe the might owe you some labor.

First. When the amp shuts off and the "protect" light engages, feel the amp with your hand to see how hot it is. If its burning up then you know it's kicking out because of temp.

If it's not hot, then you could have some other problems. If the amp goes directly to protect as soon as it's powered then you could have a "speaker or speaker wire" that has went to ground. what i mean by that is touching metal. wired being exposed from inside the insulator causing a direct short and thus causing the amp to go into protect mode asap.

First find out why its going into protcet mode. Either its heat, or electrical. get back asap

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it gets really hot....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts