Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'03 SE sedan, manual tranny, I got a OEM kit off eBay--3M5Z-9A818-AAB
I verified at my local shop to make sure this is indeed the kit I needed.

Guy at the Ford 800 number is useless.

The instructions that came with it (same as these): http://members.rennlist.org/warren/FocusCruise.pdf

Are almost as useless. (No words?? And they keep referring to the manual. What manual? A general shop manual? A wiring manual?)

Step number 13 seems to be the problem:

Where do these three wires go? The wiring harness on the car has nine pins (not eight). And they're already filled up.
Ford Tech said to take those three out. (The horn quit working)
And cruise definitely does not work.

Everything else worked as expected, so we're thinking this wiring harness must be the issue.

Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
i've never done the swap due to malfunction. Are the wires your pulling out and swapping the same colors as are in the Diagram?

I do know that the Haynes Focus Repair manual has a wiring diagram in the back....so if you could get your hands on one I'd say that would be the place to start. Hope that helps.

Btw. Welcome to FF

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, they're not the same color.

And despite the fact that we've had a Haynes for ever other vehicle we've ever owned, I've not heard good things about it for the Focus. Or rather for the non-Zetec Focus.
I see you have an '03 SE also. (SPI?)
Does their wiring diagram apply to the SPI? Have you actually used it?

What kind of malfunction did you have?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I know what's contained in a haynes manual, I meant does it cover the SPI engine very well?
More importantly, is there someone that has an answer to my original question?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, this is the part that's baffling my "mechanic":

The first pic is of the black harness, laying on the floor, looking up at it plugged in to the back of the wheel.

This is the harness uplugged (btw, he apologizes for the lack of focus, he couldn't get back far enough for the camera not to blur). The three wires Ford told him to remove are the ones that are hanging.

Is there a possibility that this was already wired for cruise? And if so, how would we know?
There are wires where there aren't supposed to be (according to the directions and Ford tech support) and there is a plug-in down by the brake, that isn't right.
The red plug in below, for example, was supposed to only have had two wires in use, on the top. But there were two on the bottom, also, that had to be exchanged for the green wires with the kit, per directions. Ford tech said to just take those out and tape them back. Seriously? They aren't supposed to do anything?
And what about this green one? That's just hanging loose? It was already there, and it fits into the green actuator that came with the kit.

We didn't look for wires in the engine compartment to plug the actuator in to, so maybe they were already there?

We're just beyond baffled.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to the top

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I noticed that green connector in my car also and I assumed that it's for the cruise control that I do not have

if it fits, why not plug it in and try it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But that wouldn't solve the problem of where to plug those three wires from the actuator in to the steering wheel (in step 13)...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was sad when I saw this went dead. I wanted to install cruise in my '00 focus SE (stick) with the ztech.

I saw this:
Cruise on Ebay

Has anyone has luck installing cruise and are there special requirements for a 5spd (besides a clutch switch)?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Instillation Time: 3hrs
Result: Functional Cruise Control!

The instructions were picture only so some things were a bit difficult to figure out or I would have had it finished sooner. Everything I needed was there though and it went very well.

The 2 crappiest parts were figuring a good route to run the wire to the PCM module on the pass side for pin #28 (violet/white wire) and drilling the hole for the harness to pass through into the passenger compartment since a 90-degree drill is recommended. I didn't have one but I had a small air drill that barely fit.

It was pretty easy though overall and just a bit time consuming.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Since someone tripped over this thread 3 years after i posted it, maybe someone else will now that its *6* years later ;)

We ended up taking it in to three different Ford garages. They were all baffled. Clearly my mechanic had really screwed something up. (My hubby is a pretty good shade tree, so needless to say he was rather irritated by this verdict. lol)

We finally took it to my dad's favorite mechanic in my hometown, 400 miles away. He kind of specializes in chasing down electrical gremlins. Made an appointment while we were up for Christmas.
Turns out the wiring harnesses weren't right when they came out of the factory (which is why I have pics of wires where there arent supposed to be wires).

But, he and my husband DID get the cruise all hooked up. Eight years, and 150,000 miles later, the cruise still works perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts