Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am hearing a loud noise what seems to be coming from the back(possibly) on my 2007 ford focus ses. the car has 61,000 miles on it. it seems to be driving fine but its loud and an annoying sound, even with the radio on the sound overpowers everything. It gets louder the faster i go. i just replaced my altenator 2 weeks ago. i have tires on that arent quite a year old. it sounds like my exhaust is louder while Im in the car but with the windows down i can't hear anything on the outside. any ideas on what this could be? thanks :)

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Might be possible when your alt was replaced they could have some how messed with your exhaust to get the alt in and out and maybe forgot to tighten something back up .

If it just started after your alternator was replaced , could be something simple as them loosing your bolts up and just forgot to tighten them back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sound was there before replacing the altenator but since replacing that it has gotten alot louder.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
When you say from the back, do you mean the rear of the car, or the rear of the engine bay?

Does it sound like a metal on metal noise or something else?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
When you say from the back, do you mean the rear of the car, or the rear of the engine bay?

Does it sound like a metal on metal noise or something else?

Ahhhh , I didn't think about that , and since its an SES it has a Rear Sway Bar on it and it could be possible that the endlinks and shot making the bar knock around .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it does sound like its coming from the back. its not a metal on metal noise. it sounds more like Im driving on a flat tire but with no wobbling. its not really a humming noise but its loud and always the same noise it fades when Im stopped,hit bumps, and turning. but as i speed up the noise gets louder.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Sounds like a bad rear wheel bearing to me! I'm 99% sure thats what it is.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I have to agree that it sounds like a bearing. Try putting the car on a jack and seeing if the wheel has any play in it. Also try spinning the wheel with it in the air to see if you can replicate the noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the closest sound i could come up with is when ur driving on new paved roads there are grooves that make a loud noise when u drive on it....sounds pretty much like that. i am trading in my car...already did a trade in value but need to wait for the new car to get here which could be another 2 weeks. i really don't want to put money into it obviously but need to be able to drive it. what will happen if i don't fix this problem? and what would you guys recommend i do? thanks for all the help!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Replacing it isn't that expensive, but it does need to be pressed into the brake drum.

It is a safety concern to drive on one that is bad. It can affect braking and driving stability.

I would check and see if you can replicate the noise and confirm that is what is wrong before deciding whether or not you ignore it. We seem to be in agreement that this is what is wrong, but without hearing the actual noise and going with guesses makes internet diagnosis less reliable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts