Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Runs and Dies!!!!!!!! = (

Alright everybody help me out. Just recently rebuilt motor with new pistons, cams, injectors, and supercharger. A buddy of mine had the ecu reprogrammed for the new mods. The car will fire right up, run for about 5 minutes and shut off... I think its the ECU because when hooked up to machine(not cars electronics) it runs fine. but as soon as you re hook everything up in the car back to the problem. Any ideas??? [gunfire]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What is said machine?

Do you have a way of datalogging?

My initial guess would be that the ignition is loosing signal/power. So try to verify the Crank Position output and test the coil.

Oh ya, fuel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my mind is going blank right now so help me out... when you have the motor pulled and the motors running off a computer. Im running super unleaded pump gas.

Im new to messing with cars. I just sold my truck and bought a focus and started messing with it.

So any advice is greatly appreciated![driving]

Thanks,
Cory

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
No no, lol. Not what fuel, do you have fuel? As in the injectors aren't loosing power or the fuel pump overheating and shutting down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[?|] oh ha ha my bad! Yea lol its getting fuel! Like I said when my buddy hooked the mother up to the computer at the shop it ran forever. But when we hooked it back up to the cars ecu it ran for about 5 minutes and then shut off. It was running fine after the motor work and about a week later driving down the road it started shuttering and shut off. Thats how it all started.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was using the sct ecu flasher. Thats what he was saying, something about it maybe being the IAC or even the MAF. oh and quick question since im a rookie at this lol. With the sct ecu flasher can you still put a chip in on top of the ecu being flashed? That might be a dumb question so ill say sorry now lol!

Thanks for all the help

Cory

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You can put a chip, but it's pointless. If he can flash tune it just stick with that ... and since he has the SCT tell him to come and log it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Should give an indication of what the engine did just before it dies; run lean/loose ignition signal/etc. It should be quicker to find the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok lol new update...[dunno] now I can even get it to start. It will try to turn over but that is it. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![ohcrap]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
My 2 cents: iminhell may have nailed it in his 1st post. The crank position sensor. If during a 'no start' or 'it just died' event. Do you still get spark? It may be just a bad connector.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok another new guy question... How much would that cost to replace and how much wrench time would be included lol?

Thanks again for everyones help!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, no cost to check, and very little wrench time. Remove a spark plug wire and attach to a spare/old spark plug (just a known good spark plug. need not be for a Focus). Ground body of plug to frame. Crank engine. Do you get a spark. Yes? keep lookin. No? Maybe its the crank position sensor. Find sensor and trace wire to connector. If they used the round AMP style connector, then with a good flashlight, look closely at the female side. are they 'out of round' or otherwise deformed? Or, When you plug in the male side (watch carefully for this as its a stinker), do either the male of female pins move out of there socket (I.E. there not fully mating). Its hard to measure the output from the sensor directly without a scope, but there a hall device and very rugged, so chances are very good that it's not the sensor itself... this is IF its the position sensor at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate how everybody just jumps in to help! Thanks everybody![wrenchin]

Cory

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate how everybody just jumps in to help! Thanks everybody![wrenchin]

Cory
Thats what we do here!.....Just had to jump i at the last minute there!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I was driving down the road the other day and the car made a whining noise(thats the best way I can explain it) and shut off. Took it to a local shop and will run fine on alternate power source. I guess that would be them running off of an alternate power source(or different PCM). Towed it home and when I try to start it, you just hear clicking from the starter! Please help me with some ideas of what it could be![mecry]

Thanks Everyone,
Cory

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked battery and all is well! Trickle charged it all night and still had the same thing! Thanks for your input on the situation though!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts