Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just installed the st170 lights on my 03 hatch, everything went great except when i hit the turn signal no matter what direction, both of them turn on. its like im pressing the hazard switch. if anyone can help me and tell me what i did wrong i would greatly appreciate it. i followed the install instructions on this site. i need this fixed because i depend on this car for work thanks, jon

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
How did you run the wires? I used the instructions on this site as a reference, I didn't follow it completely.

When you turn your light into the parking position, does the city light come on, or does the turn signal come on (light up like the stock grill)?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turn signal lights, and i ran the wires just like the instructions said, both wires from the car (both green not the black ones) to the harness.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, both sides look like that

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
both sides had three wires, the instructions said leave out the black one and splice the other two into the harness, so i did. but apparently i did it wrong because its jacked up, or i misinterpreted.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I believe I have a good idea what it is, that set up itself. Remove the parking lamp wires and then try the turn signals. If so then it can be explained like this, since they share the same ground, spliced together, and are not separated like in the NA spec wiring harness you're grounding out the parking lights and thus making flashers.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I believe I have a good idea what it is, that set up itself. Remove the parking lamp wires and then try the turn signals. If so then it can be explained like this, since they share the same ground, spliced together, and are not separated like in the NA spec wiring harness you're grounding out the parking lights and thus making flashers.
Yes there should be one more wire.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
You're not supposed to run BOTH wires from the car into a single wire. The reason why they say to leave the black one out is because that's a ground, and there is already a ground one going into the VW plug. So the 2 wires you are running is the city light wire signal, and the turn signal signal.

Remove that butt crimp and run both wires to the VW plug. If it's done correctly, ONLY the parking light comes on in the parking light position, and the turn signal ONLY blinks when it's in use.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're not supposed to run BOTH wires from the car into a single wire. The reason why they say to leave the black one out is because that's a ground, and there is already a ground one going into the VW plug. So the 2 wires you are running is the city light wire signal, and the turn signal signal.

Remove that butt crimp and run both wires to the VW plug. If it's done correctly, ONLY the parking light comes on in the parking light position, and the turn signal ONLY blinks when it's in use.
the directions only give one place for the vw plug to have turn signals ran to it, where do i run the second wire on the vw plug?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
huh, where was that earlier! well i just wired it so i dont have parking lights, but i ops checked all of the signals and everythings good. i can wire the parking lights in later if i want them. thanks for all of the help guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts