Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Focusfanatics. I'm glad to see a place like this is out there. I am brought to this site in hopes that someone can help me before I take a hammer to my Focus.
I have a 2003 LX. The highbeams are constantly on if I turn on the lights. This poses an issue since I work at night. I followed the wiring diagram and have a feeling it's my relay, and I am trying to make the "easy" switch. Everywhere I read says they just pop right out. Even a couple threads here say they just pop right out. Yet, with all my strength, I cannot pull it OUT![mad][gunfire]
It is not my strength, cause I try prying under it with a key (don't have a screwdriver yet) and I broke the key. There is a locking mechanism on this. Does ANYONE out there know how to get this darn thing off?
Thank you in advance for your help. Cheers!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Just keep pulling. There are no lock mechanisms, they just can get stuck in there really hard. Good luck with it.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Oh yeah. Just make sure you are pulling it straight out. Cocking it sideways will only make it harder.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
A key............really? Get a pair of pliers or a screwdriver. If you can't, go to your local parts store , and ask them to help you change the relay, after you buy it there.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Who doesn't own a screwdriver?

Have you checked to make sure that it isn't the switch on the steering column? Does the highbeam indicator on your dash turn off when you click on and off?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
ok, everyone is right, except that nobody said relays are VERY difficult to remove. There is no tool that I've ever used, although it would be nice if someone made one. I always feel like I'm about to pull the under hood fuse box off it's mounts.

Pull and wiggle while holding the fuse box down with your other hand. There's no sense in wasting energy pulling on the fuse box itself. My hand is typically sore after pulling a relay. A nice plastic hook puller would be a good trick if anyone made one. It takes me about 5 mins to remove a relay. I wouldn't advice prying or sticking anything too far under the relay. If you short out the powered pins on the relay then you could make a nice big melted plastic mess, and then you'll find out how much fun it is to either rewire an existing relay socket, wire in a firewall mounted relay for your lights, or replace your existing relay box.

I don't think it's the relay though. I know that makes logical sense, but it is most likely to be the switch in the steering column. It's much more expensive, but it is most likely to be the problem. You're welcome to try that relay, but I don't think you're going to get anywhere.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Okay, take the pliers and grip the relay..............then use the screwdriver to pry up on the pliers................nuff said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts