Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. I am so truly frustrated right now.
First, I have a 2010 Focus, and have NO issues with the same devices and same media on the devices that I am having problems with on the 2012.
I have a drive in, it never stops indexing, once or twice built media commands, and many times simply says drive not supported. I have put ONE album on a drive and even if it indexes it wont stop building media commands, and won't give me the song info in bottom left quad as supposed to. I would suspect the media tags are the problem save that ONCE it worked fine, and then other than that is inconsistent and also works on another sync device.
I know MANY people have had problems with indexing. For those who did, what was your final solution to get CONSISTENTCY and ability to use voice to say "play track......"whatever"
Thanks for any and all help.

Edit* what data/lack of data would define "corrupt metadata" that would prevent mft/sync from finishing indexing or bmc?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Go to syncmyride and download syncmyitunes, it will clean up the metadata of the songs that the system uses to index and generate media commands. should help tremendously if you haven't taken this step yet

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already did, no change. Not using itunes normally either but still , tried syncmyitunes and no go.
Just ran another test....4 albums, got past indexing, went to building media commands and stayed there. 2gb thumb drive fat32

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Ninja [ninja]

If your music is missing tags, or in the wrong format, compilation albums, unrecognized charaters, or if you have some corrupted tracks, media commands can't be built. If media commands aren't built, there won't be a connection from your voice to the music track.

Syncmyitunes catches the easy problems. Other software can catch more difficult issues. Check out this thread for more info !!!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266543&highlight=ipod

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read that but wonder what information that HAS to be there, what CANT be there etc. What ARE the proper tag formats. I have always used Tag&Rename to keep my tags consistent, and haven't had problems in other sync vehicles including the 12 that I tested with this same drive when deciding toe buy the car. indexed and bmc in a reasonable time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have seen the unsupported device one time but it kept playing off the stick anyway so I ignored it.

I cleaned mine up with the sync stuff but I just "play all" and " shuffle" for now. I have yet to try to.play anything specific because I can't remember the specifics of album names. I will have to try more stuff when my trip is over

I have read that but wonder what information that HAS to be there, what CANT be there etc. What ARE the proper tag formats. I have always used Tag&Rename to keep my tags consistent, and haven't had problems in other sync vehicles including the 12 that I tested with this same drive when deciding toe buy the car. indexed and bmc in a reasonable time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What about corruption on the USB device's flash memory.
Format doesn't acually format the flash memory, It just builds a new FAT
Suggestions
Try another USB device first
download ChkFlsh.exe and use it to check / fix your device.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pretty much your stuff isn't going to work unless your metadata is damn near perfect. Ford put out a terrible product that will hopefully be fixed soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have tried three different fat32 thumb drives 2,8,64 gigs and a 320 gig wd passport drive. All work fine in other sync car just not this pile of crap. I had even tested the 320 with 32+gigs on a 12 Titanium before buying mine and there were NO problems.
Today I had it playing the music from usb, but when hit the sync voice button and said "usb" it said "NO USB DEVICE DETECTED" .....EVEN THOUGH IT WAS PLAYING. 2.5 Hours spent in the car today and finished indexing once, never finished bmc, then never got anywhere again.
I have called the dealer and told them the car is coming back (as a result of WAY TOO MANY PROBLEMS across the spectrum not just with mft) I have put as few as 10 songs on a jump drive and this car WILL NOT index it or bmc.
Now to see how long it takes them to TRY to fix my multitude of problems. I'm sadly not optimistic.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hopefully they can help you with other problems but I wouldn't be optimistic about the MFT stuff either. I'm sure, in light of the recent "upgrade" announcement, every dealer is simply going to say "Nothing we can do. You have to wait until the update next year and that should fix it" for all things MFT related.

Know what your saying about the idiot messages though. It always puts a wry smirk on my face when I see the "iPod disconnected" message on my screen even though I am driving along listening to music on my iPod. Then I have to disconnect it and reconnect it to get rid of the message. The only way to show MFT that it indeed is not disconnected is to disconnect it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have read the update info, watched the video, however just remember stuff about :bigger fonts: :stuff where you actually want it: :faster response: yadda yadda. Was there ANY info leading us to believe that we won't have any more indexing, bmc problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For all the people who read this and have a working USB drive which has no problems with indexing or bmc. Could you please tell me exactly how you have your mp3 metadata. I have used my drives in many devices from cars, tv's, computers, and as long as *.mp3 is at the end they work. As mentioned before too, FORDS MICROSOFT SYNC has absolutely no problem with my media and the way it' configured with metadata in my 2010 focus.

·
Registered
747 Posts
For all the people who read this and have a working USB drive which has no problems with indexing or bmc. Could you please tell me exactly how you have your mp3 metadata. I have used my drives in many devices from cars, tv's, computers, and as long as *.mp3 is at the end they work. As mentioned before too, FORDS MICROSOFT SYNC has absolutely no problem with my media and the way it' configured with metadata in my 2010 focus.
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

this will help you fix metadata, also I suggest cutting down your music. Originally I was trying to do 60gb but now I'm at 30gb and stuff works most of the time. BMC still takes forever, indexing is random, and voice just plain can't figure out some artists but it works enough

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Have you read this ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
My experience was with an iPod so take with a grain of salt..but my scenario is similar in that it worked fine, then with no changes or new music added, it got into the endless indexing/building media commands. No only did this slow everything down, I was having other stability issues. I had re-run syncmyiTunes utility but no help. It started to slow MFT to the point that the clock was falling behind!

I finally, pulled the two fuses. After re-inserting the fuses and starting up, the screen stayed black for quite a while (Thought I killed it). However it finally went into 'performing maintenance' started up and presto, it only did the index/building for a couple minutes then finished and is now showing song name in the lower left rater than the constant 'indexing.' Also, normal overall performance was restored. Can't guarantee that will fix you but if you haven't tried that yet, might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was going to recommend the same thing, try a Master Reset first, and if that doesn't help, do the fuse pull. Having a clean baseline and a fresh start may help.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was going to recommend the same thing, try a Master Reset first, and if that doesn't help, do the fuse pull. Having a clean baseline and a fresh start may help.
I think the down side of the master reset (vs fuse) is you lose your phone pairing and other preferences whereas the fuse pull retains everything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all that info guys. I did try the master reset (which seemed to go on forever and didn't finish before the car shut down (i didn't have it running, figure a reset should be quicker). As far as the fuses go. Is there info on which fuses (sounds like you were pointing to 2 fuses) to pull.
For now I took the car in and told them I dont want it back until all my problems are fixed (besides the unfixable sync/mft system.) I can't toy with it... I did however grab Picasa so will have to toy with that if all else fails.
My music has always been properly tagged so I can't understand them causing a problem for any "sane" system....this system however is "insanely bad" so...

THanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for all that info guys. I did try the master reset (which seemed to go on forever and didn't finish before the car shut down (i didn't have it running, figure a reset should be quicker). As far as the fuses go. Is there info on which fuses (sounds like you were pointing to 2 fuses) to pull.
For now I took the car in and told them I dont want it back until all my problems are fixed (besides the unfixable sync/mft system.) I can't toy with it... I did however grab Picasa so will have to toy with that if all else fails.
My music has always been properly tagged so I can't understand them causing a problem for any "sane" system....this system however is "insanely bad" so...

THanks
Fuses 67 and 79 cover MFT. Yeah kinda weird that it is 2 fuses but that is what I have seen reported several places (confirmed by the fuse listing in the manual). I have had my MFT over 6 months and the last 3 weeks (since the fuse reset) have been the best ever. The fuse panel cover underneath the glove box is a bit awkward to get to but the cover comes off pretty easy with 2 plastic nuts. You'll probably need some needle nose pliers to get the fuses out (or there is a fuse puller located in the cover of the fuse box inside the main engine compartment.)

Kind of stupid that they did not engineer a hard power reset into the system. Silly software engineers, "I can't think of any reason it would ever need a hard power reset"[hah]. I work in the service side and QA of software and developers are notoriously "overconfident." Is that a kind enough word?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I don't think the master reset completely clears the memory and I think that is part of the problem. I have done two (one on my own and one at sync/MFT support's request). Once I lost my phone but still had radio presets and wallpaper. The second one I lost my wallpaper but still had my phone and radio presets there. I've never done a fuse pull so I don't how much/what that clears but when I had my remote start installed, they did a battery disconnect and when I picked up the car after that, everything MFT was much smoother. Still minor quirks (e.g. the previously mentioned iPod disconnected message even though it is connected and playing) but voice has worked constantly (Nav and music), things index and media commands build, BT music streaming has worked constantly, never lost pairing w/my phone and so on. As this was only done once I can't conclusively say this was what made it better but the timing does seem coincidental for sure. Since that time I've also made sure I use the same USB device in the same port always as I didn't want to give it anything to further confuse the system.

I definitely agree though, there should be a completely hard power, memory clearing reset available.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts