Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my dad went outside and he saw my dome light, flashing on and off and heard "chimes" as he walked past my car to his work van. I got up climbed in, and noticed that the oil light was lightly flickering and there was a certain chime coming from the cabin. This was without the key in the ignition and the door closed. I started the car up, revved the engine, and everything was fairly normal EXCEPT I heard relays clicking from under the dash. I turned off the car, looked under the hood, saw nothing wrong, started it back up and my airbag light was on. MY GOD. What the hell is going on? Turned off the car, turned it back on again, and the light was off, opened and shut the hood once again, and the light came on once again. It seems to be sensitive of my "very light" hood shuts as well as an other.

It's been cold and snowy here for about a week 15-32 degree range, and I've been driving my truck in the mean time. So the focus has been sitting for a week. But what the hell, .. I mean,... What THE HELL is going on?? Got about a foot and a half around the car right now, and I'm about to take off for work so I can't toy around with it too much.. But really need some help on this.

Please respond with Ideas [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got home from work, and there doesn't appear to be a flickering oil light like before.. yet.. so the ghost lights and sounds don't really bother me unless they come back again, I'm hoping that it was some freak weather causing incident.. I'm more conserned with the airbag. I don't want to hit a pot hole and have the bags shoot off in my face.. :( and I can't close my hood without the light coming on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Man. Is the check engine light on? It might be worth it to see if it is throwing any codes. Electrical gremlins...

You say your hood effects whether or not the lights come on huh? Thats strange since there are no wires routed on the hood. My guess would be as it is closing it is hitting some wire or sorts. Have you checked your battery connections and made sure they are tight as well as the wires going to and from it?

Its also really strange how the lights and chiming sounds come on with no key in the ignition. I know with my car sometimes the teeth in the keyhole get stuck in place and it thinks there is still a key in there. Just have to put the tip of the key in and jiggle it around till they close. I dunno if that might be the case with yours.

Plug into that ECU and see what the car says to ya.

BTW hows my suspension treatin ya? lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
My air bag light is on too. It only comes on once in a while. LIke it will stay on for a week and turn off for a day then come back on. its [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g whack.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, It's wanting to be driven! and the suspension is great Justin! thanks again! How are you handling the snow? I've been driving around my truck, can't even imagine being out there in the focus..

For the airbag light..
It has to be like an airbag sensor, cause when the hood falls, thats when the 1 light comes on, the airbag light. I thought it was coincidental, but every time I open and close the hood it comes and stays on till next restart.. :( I'm hoping a loose connection? Or something weather related that will go away with warmer temps?

The other problem, I don't know where to begin.. I couldn't belive what I saw. I saw a weak illuminating oil light without the key in.. maybe faulty ignition switch? I don't know why it would have power.. ?

Haven't checked battery connections/reset ECU due to weather , I don't have the luxury of a carport or garage so It's tuff :(

Heres what I have been driving around in :) "f" snow [neener]

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well honestly I am not good at rooting out the electrical gremlins. I am sure you will find some help on here though.

My Focus has been parked for 3 days now. When the snow started melting and getting soft it was a nightmare. I got so tired of digging it out I just decided to park it. I have serious cabin fever goin on here.... Damn "all-season" tires....

BTW nice truck. Looks like my dads. His is a 78 4x2 w/ the 390. Same color too.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
lol nice tire on the front! gotten to use it to push any1 yet? be sure to check all the battery connections and wire connections coming off the battery and alternator. make sure the ground is connected to the tranny and the powerwire to the starter. check for corrosion and make sure the terminals are on good. also feel the wires if they feel really stiff or melted replace them

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I'll check that first, I hope it's something simple like that. It might be a day or too till I get to it though. Is anyone familiar with airbag sensors and their location? Accessible? Maybe I can check a loose wire. I'm praying it was nothing and it was just the focus trying to tell me to drive it. haha.

Justin: Yeah, these old fords! Longevity through simplicity. 300,000 miles and counting on my 390, with the 4 on the floor :)

Chase: I'll check those ground locations and wires when I can, thank you for the idea. And yes! I have made 30$ Pulling people 4 people out of the snow with it :) Not even asking for money, them just donating :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts