Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Some time ago I published a thread about problems with the fans of my Focus 2004 2.3 PZEV. After all the advice I received, I decided to take my car to a workshop (supposedly specialized in electrical system) and the fans worked properly.

A week ago the fans stopped working and I checked the fuses and they were all well. Checked the low speed relay and it is working. Despite this the fans do not work.

Believing that it could be some short in the wiring I checked it and found that all fan wiring is wrong. The wires are spliced badly, there are loose wires and broken terminals. (Sadly the workshop did a bad job)I need to repair it and for this I want to get an electrical diagram of the fans. Searching on google I found diagrams but they are from Focus 2002 and with Ztec engines, so I don't know if it applies to the version of my focus.

Can someone help me with the diagram and with some ideas of what I should check for my fans to work?

I have doubts about how to test the resistance that activates the fans and the high-speed relay, it is not the same as others that I have seen in my searches with Google. The relay of my Focus has 6 pins and is large orange. .All help and explanation is welcome and in advance thank you very much

(PS. I hope that what I wrote can be understood well, I speak little English)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update.

Searching on google I found that when measuring the ohms of resistance, the measurement should be 0.25. I don't know if this is the right measurement, but I tested my resistance and this is what I found.If I touch the two pins where the resistance is connected to the wiring with the tips of the multimeter, I don't get a reading.

If I do the test by touching the resistance ends, I get a reading of 0.9.And if I measure touching the extremes of thermal resistance I don't get a reading.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thank you.

Any idea where I can download the wiring diagram for my Focus?

Thank you,

·
Registered
15,584 Posts
X2, that may well be one of the ones with 4 relays to get 3 fan speeds instead of the 2 relay/2 speeds most have. The 4 relay circuits are complicated.

On the last pic there is a small part with red line drawn to it, it has a red end on it and looks like a resistor. It is a thermal limiter that blows out if the main resistor (the bigger coil) gets too hot. That small limiter must have continuity (1 ohm or less resistance) through it or the whole part is bad.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Any idea where I can download the wiring diagram for my Focus?

Thank you,
I dont have the wiring manual for 2004 but I have for 2003. I cannot guarantee they are the same - you will need to determine that. I can tell you the 2003 PZEV setup (2 relay, 2 speed) is not the same as the 2005 PZEV (4 relay, 3 speed) setup. Let me know if you want me to post the 2003 PZEV diagrams.

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi.

Thanks to someone as kind as you, I can get a copy of the diagram for the year 2004. Comparing the 2004 diagram with the 2003 diagram, they seem to be the same.

Thanks again for the help.

I have done some tests using a multimeter and a test lamp and everything is working fine. Now I must correctly splice the cables and connect the fans. Everything should work correctly when it is already assembled.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi.

Thanks to someone as kind as you, I can get a copy of the diagram for the year 2004. Comparing the 2004 diagram with the 2003 diagram, they seem to be the same.

Thanks again for the help.

I have done some tests using a multimeter and a test lamp and everything is working fine. Now I must correctly splice the cables and connect the fans. Everything should work correctly when it is already assembled.
👍
Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone.

I have already repaired the cooling fan wiring and now they turn on. Thank you very much for the help.

Now I have an additional question about the fans: Should the fans always be active, even with the engine cold?

I know that the normal thing in a car is that the fans are activated when the engine reaches a certain temperature.In the case of my Focus, the fans always activate when I turn the key to the ACC position. This was the case before the problem with the wiring as it is now that the wires are already connected correctly (based on what the color code of the cables indicates in the diagrams)

Someone in some forum told me that in the case of the Ford Focus with Duratec 2.3 PZEV Motor the fans are activated when the key is turned to the ACC position. Is this situation normal in Focus with Duratec 2.3 PZEV engine? My car is a SE 2004 2.3 PZEV. Here, where I live, this engine configuration is rare. Most of the Ford Focus of this generation have a ZTEC engine and not a DURATEC PZEV, so I don't have an easy way to contact any FOCUS owner locally who has a DURATEC 2.3 PZEV engine to confirm if the fans turn on at turn the key to the ACC position. Nor can I check with the local distributor, because here Ford did not distribute the Ford Focus if not until a couple of years ago. All Focus here were imported by individual people.

If it is not normal for fans to turn on in this way, could someone of you indicate the steps to follow in order to find the source of the fault?

Beforehand thank you very much.

(PS. Again sorry if my English is not very good).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts