Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the issue i have is the lack of a working blower and thus, no heat.
its Chicago and winter so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Car:
2000 Focus SE

Symptoms:
A/C works
recirculating air works
back window defrost works

blower does not function on any level of speed.

I have:
replaced the blower switch which got the AC working and was needed.
removed and hooked the blower up to the engine and it works fine.
replaced the resistor pack (1st thing i did).
checked all fuses.

i have nothing to show for it.
in my own research it would seem that the lack of speed 4 suggests that the resistor is not the problem and that it is a relay problem. However, I have also read that the relay does not function this way and all 4 speeds run through this particular resistor pack.

suffice it to say, i am confused.
I figure you've all heard this time and time again but every time i find an answer it leads me on a wild goose chase.
please help me fix my car. I prefer to learn by doing rather than paying some guy to do it for me.

also, i am perfectly familiar with testing the circuits via multimeter. I do not work on car electrical systems and would need some help as to where to test (signal flow, etc)

Thanks again

-Nate

·
Registered
16 Posts
well the frist hing i do when working on electrical is look at a wiring diagram in my chiltons book. that way it shows every possible part in the line to find the problem. than its just a matter of testing currnet in and current out of each component. it does sound like there is a bad part somewhere. if you dont have a chiltons i will see if i can find it in my book and scan the diagram for you.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I prefer to learn by doing rather than paying some guy to do it for me.
There's no better way to learn![thumb]

Have you been out under the hood? In the Battery Junction Box is fuse #64, a 30A job that feeds the blower motor. (The motor is always "plussed", the ground side is manipulated to get the various speeds). If that fuse is good, make sure it's hot in run or start. The feed to that fuse is obviously switched, but my diagram doesn't show me how. We'll figure it out if the need arises.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well it sounds like you've done everything but check the actual motor itself. Sometimes mice build giant nests in the blower wheel....keeping it from turning. Sometimes the motor itself just goes bad.

If you remove the glove box, with the mode door on re-circulate, you may be able to reach the blower wheel.....spin it to see if it's stuck.

Check the plug for 12v with the ignition on.....temporarily supply 12v and a ground to the motor with jumper wires.....

Good luck....

Humm....I just re-read the OP. You took the blower motor out and it tests fine? If that's the case you may have a wiring problem, rather than a hardware problem. Does the plug going to the motor show any signs of melting?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You know the blower motors do go bad. Have you considered removing the fan motor to test it? The simple test is to do a resistance test between the two terminals on the fan. You should get some sort of resistance in ohms if the fan is working correctly. A manual will give you the exact figure. If the motor is burned up, then you will see an open circuit- no resistance.

You might be able to test the fan at the fuse if the blower is the only device on that fuse. Lots of times there are multiple devices on a circuit, however if you pull the fuse, test both sides to ground. One side should have voltage, and the other side will show resistance. If there is no resistance, then the fan motor is bad. If the resistance is VERY low like .02 ohms, then the fan is probably bad as well. I wouldn't trust this test either way, but I thought I'd bring it up. The most you can hope for is to get an open circuit with the fan switched on, and then you'll know you need to pull the fan for sure and test it directly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had an issue like that on a Ford Contour before and what is what its a burned wired

under the fuse panel and when I replaed the burned wired it was the wired that

belonged to my a/c blower...

You might want to give that a try..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts