Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving home from work in a monsoon so i was driving MUCH slower than usual. doing about 30mph i hit a section of the road with a ton of standing water. just as i do the car damn near instantly dies. i got pulled over on the side of the road before it shut down. no cel or anything but when i went to restart, it started to turn over for about a half a second then nothing. tried again with the same result. luckily(first time i'll ever say this) a cop was right there and pulled behind me so i wouldn't have to worry about traffic. so i let it sit for about 10 minutes and try to start it. it takes a second but it starts up but acts like it wants to choke out. so i drive it down the road to the gas station and it seems to be running fine. i limp it home. feels fine, drives fine, but i feel a slight "chatter" vibration in the clutch pedal just as it's almost completely let out. got it home, parked it in the garage. shut it down and restarted and it started right up and runs fine. i did this a couple times and it started right up, sounded normal, and reved fine every time. i just don't get the chatter in the clutch. any ideas? this scared the shit out of me and still does. i've driven thru much worse with no problem. i'm really freaked out.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
YOU ARE FINE....You either hydrolock or you don't. The car got wet and is just fine. Check the oil and make sure there is no water in there. If so, change it. If not, just continue to enjoy the car.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
You have a CAI by any chance? The stock '05 intake is high enough that sucking in water is next to impossible.

You probably got a soaked set of coils that will dry out without any problems. I'm surprised the water splashed up that high...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes i have a cai.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
You still have to submerge it for quite a long time to do it in...If it started and ran AT ALL you are just fine, no worries. I"ve got lots of deep water 4x4 experience. Trust me on this one.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
As for the clutch thing, you probably are just now noticing something that has been present for a while. You had a scare, so you are looking very close for anything that is out of the ordinary, and when you look that close you start finding problems that dont even exist.

Moral of the story, dont worry about it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I checked the intake tube and there didn't seem to be any water. Maf sensor is dry, no cel thrown. Starts up and seems to run ok at idle and everything. Drove to work this morning and just took it easy. The clutch chatter is still there but it doesn't seem to chatter quite at much. The car never seemed to stumble or want to choke our, but still doesn't seem right. So the engine seems to run ok, but it seems odd when driving. I'm just not sure wtf it is. If I sucked up a bunch of water or enough to really f-things up I would have thought I would really be able to tell by now. Its just freaking me out. I'm a paranoid mofo anyways. I just don't wanna f-my car up. Can't really afford that kinda headache right now.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
If you had hydrolocked your car, you would have NEVER been able to even drive it home...RELAX...Did you check the oil?

HYdrolocking bends things, BIG things, like connecting rods.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Yes I checked the oil and saw no traces of water. I'm at work right now sitting in the car with it running. Seems to be running fine. Idling fine and reving fine. Someone else I talked to on a local forum said the clutch chatter may be due to getting the friction plate wet or something. I don't know but motor wise it seems ok. Maybe by the time I drive home everything will be dried out. I know I may be paranoid but it scared the crap out of me and wanted opinions and info from those in the ff community. I appreciate the help/info and will post when I get home tonight to let yall know how things are running.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^ Pretty smart farmer, yes a clutch can chatter due to water...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
With your CAI filter hanging close to the pavement....you're going to have this same problem again. And you're pushing your luck. If you want to be safer through puddles, your air filter setup needs to be changed.

Many people on this forum will tell you....."just avoid puddles". As you found out, it's not that easy.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know! We'll see how she drives later. Hopefully better. Thanks for easing my mind a bit. I knew I didn't hydro lock that's why I said "almost" cause it really scared the crap out of me. I've driven thru worse with no issues so it freaked me out.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
my car stumbles alot if water get on the serpentine/accessory drive belt....thats prolly what happened if the puddle was on the passenger side of the car.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well after the ride home from work it seems to run fine engine wise but i still have that chatter/vibration/pulse (whatever you wanna call it) in the clutch. maybe it will just take a day or 2 to dry out and go away. at least i hope. i'm still gonna take it easy for a day or 2 and see what it does but as far as it running it seems smooth thru the revs so i think all is good there. i just hope it straightens out with out issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts