Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gauge Delay, Radio blown.. etc..

I have searched, and found similar issues, not exactly, however none that had any information on how to resolve these problems.

Basically, I'm driving through Seattle, have dinner with the girlfriend, hop back in the car, and the radio doesn't turn on. All the back lights illuminate and I can see the time if I hit the "MENU" button, but then it fades into a blank screen. I think, alright - I hear these things go out all the time, and people just replace with after-market deck. That was yesterday, now today, I start the car and see NO TACH, NO GAS, nothing move. Idiot lights illuminate and the millage appears, but it takes EXACTLY 15 sec for the car to actually register the cars information to the gauges? I don't know. I timed the time it takes from the moment the key is turned to the first movement of the Tach at least 5-6 times, and it's always 15 sec.

After starting the car, waiting for the 15 sec the gauges ALL work normally, responsively, all the way they should. But the radio never turns on. I thought I would do a GAUGE test, so I turned off the car, held the trip meter and started the car and the dash said 'gauge' but the gauges did nothing.. until 15 sec had passed. I then turned the car off, kicked the tires and tried playing around with it some more. I found that...

If I turn the key and hold it in the START position, the radio will illuminate with stations, time, etc.. all that but with NO sound. As soon as I press the clutch in while holding the key turned, the radio will blank out. And again, the gauges will take 15 sec to be triggered.

I was thinking a bad ground? But I would think that it would be more off and on.. and not exactly 15 sec delay.

Some kinda switch?

I have no idea. Fuses are good. Please, Please help [bigcry]

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I would guess a ground as well. Check the main leads off the battery FIRST. Any CEL's?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i wouldn't be suprised if the ground wire from the battery to the block isn't on very good. i changed out a starter awhile back and didn't get all the power wires on right and the car was doing all kinds of crazy junk until i tightened everything up

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
A lot of electrical stuff in these cars routes through control modules....which also contain timer circuits. That might explain that 15 second thing. If the control module is receiving out-of-spec voltage upon start-up, many symptoms are possible.

Start by having the alternator and battery checked. The alternator is a likely suspect.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check the battery leads when the sun comes up before class :) I don't think that they will be an issue, I have cleaned them recently - but oh well I hope it's that simple.

I would hate for the issue to be the alternator, not only because I have heard it's up and around the corner, and a pain to get to (clarify?) but also cause the car is only a 2005. Is there a way to test without removing? say.. the gauge test and it's many cycles? I know there are a lot of other little numbers you can cycle through, and i have no idea what they are (just a thought).

Are there any grounds that are known for geting kinda crummy on our dura's?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a fuse that I skipped over, replaced, and it corrected the speedometer and radio, but blows within a few minutes. From there, I'm exactly where I was prior, with a delayed speedometer, and a blown radio. I don't have a CEL, but I do have the DTC code of DTC 9359.

Why are my fuses blowing up??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts