Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Ford focus automatic with 116,000 miles.

Wife drove the car home last night from work and she noticed that it seemed a little hesitant coming out of first. I gave her a good washing today and when I got in the car and turned the key the car wouldn't start as usual. Its was like the starter didn't want to engage, all I got was a clicking/grinding sound under the hood. after a couple attempts it started up but the CEL was on.

So I begun to pull out of the driveway to go to the nearest Auto parts store to get a Diagnostic check and first gear was sluggish, once the RPMs got up it immediately jumped from 1st to 3rd gear and If I try to accelerate the transmission would Disengage itself. I would almost come to a complete stop before it would engage 1st gear but again if I try to accelerate like normal it would just jump out of gear. Never had any problem out than the normal issue people have been having with these transmissions ie... Sputtering, rattling and so on. I got about a 1/2 mile for the Parts store and got a signal in the little console saying that the transmission was overheating and give it 8 sec to cool down....

Is this something that is a recall on these cars or have others had that problem.

P0805 - Clutch Position Sensor "A" Curcuit... No reported fixes available.
P2872 - Clutch "A" stuck engaged. (Reported Fixes... Replace Automatic Transmission w P07A3, P2787)

I haven't found anything on these. I don't want to drive the car to the dealership if its gonna damage anything in the process and I definitely cant afford another transmission.

Can someone give me some help here. How do you check the Automatic transmission fluid in these cars and yes I do have that small leak between the engine and tranny that people have been talking about. When I changed the oil and had to pull the cover off the bottom I seen where it was leaking.

Robert

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Can't check ATF level since it doesn't have any, does have special gear oil like the manual transmissions and you're due for a change.

Current issue could be a clutch actuator, motor/sensor that does the clutch engagement (two of them, one for each clutch).

Controller for those (TCM) is a possibility, and that's got extended coverage for warranty if involved.

Can't say about clutches/seals, working fine until now means those could be OK. Oil drip can be engine OR trans., with clutches working good to date it might be the engine and not critical.

Doesn't sound like it's working well enough to limp it in, unless the Dealer is as close as the parts store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing is this is.like an instant thing. Get a CEL and everything starts happening. At no time prior to last night did we have an issue and car would drive just fine. I figured we would see or feel some type advance warning if those things were going bad. Dealership is about 10 miles away. Parts store is about the same distance.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
That's why my guess was the actuator, it's what moves the clutch & senses position.

Symptoms by themselves might be the TCM, as that's what controls the actuators as well as shifting the transmission.

When it can't shift properly it won't start, the reason that's related.

BTW - 1,3,5 are on one clutch and 2,4,6 on the other to explain the 1-3 shift.

Actuator/TCM are external parts, connecting to the inside, so it might be able to be fixed without pulling the trans/doing the clutches. If an actuator linkage or a clutch is involved the trans has to come out for access.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
The TCM has a 150.000 mile warranty. I'm guessing that's the problem. The TCM can fail about 50 different ways and throw an equal amount of different codes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are those actuators located, I want to learn as I'm going and it's always a good thing to know where things are.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
They'd be found on the bellhousing portion of the trans., with the TCM on the gearbox section.

Makuloco youtube video links aren't working now, we had one here in General Tech Chat that showed the clutch replacement procedure & you could see where they were in that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Im assuming it finally failed. I haven't driven it since the other day and today I decided to take it to the dealership and see what they can do... So I tried to start it up and ofcourse all you hear is a grinding sound under the hood but no start when you turn the key. Grinding sound last for about 5 or 6 sec and once it stops you turn the key and it starts right up. I get one the road, 1st, 3rd and then all of a sudden I get a Flash on the little screen that says transmission service now and the car just rolls to a stop. I put it in park, Put it back in drive and Give it gas and regardless of how hard I press the Petal it revs up to 1500 rpms and just sits there. I put it in reverse and the same thing. Basically its like Its in Limp mode or something. I ended up getting it towed back home. Call the dealership and they said it sounds like something electrical with the codes but they wont be able to look at it for 2 1/2 weeks.

Any Ideas?
Thanks all
Robert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can so.eone.please.tell me or direct me to the location of the TCM. I have access to the same year name and model car and I can pull it off and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Can so.eone.please.tell me or direct me to the location of the TCM. I have access to the same year name and model car and I can pull it off and see if that fixes the problem.

From the Factory service manual it's inside the fender well in a sealed box, you won't see it without taking the fender liner out.
Suss knows what's up. Not sure how plug-and-play it is, though. It might require some reprogramming, etc.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
This looks like more of an ECU ... I do have this box and I drive a 5 speed!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
This looks like more of an ECU ... I do have this box and I drive a 5 speed!
That was the ECU, if you go to the original post I was quoting Slo86GT had asked where the ECU was as they could not find it.

The ECU is located inside a plastic box behind the driver's side fender well (well the left side of the vehicle, so the driver's side for LHD cars). The TCM for DCT equipped cars is mounted on the transmission case itself and houses the actuators for the clutches and the gear shifting mechanism as well as the circuits that control the transmission.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Where are those actuators located, I want to learn as I'm going and it's always a good thing to know where things are.
DCT - remove shift motors - "2011+ Ford Fiesta & 2012+ Focus Shudder- Clutch Replacement" Published on Apr 30, 2014 by FordTechMakuloco

DCT - TCM assembly - "Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Dual Clutch TCM Failures" Published on Aug 4, 2014 by FordTechMakuloco

DCT - TCM removal - "GETRAG 6DCT250 / Ford Powershift DPS6 Transmission Teardown" Published on Mar 4, 2014 by Precision International

Unfortunately, putting it back in is not as simple as taking it out:

DCT - perform TCM adaptive learning - "2011+ Ford Fiesta & 2012+ Focus Shudder- Clutch Replacement" Published on Apr 30, 2014 by FordTechMakuloco

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. So I found it but the harness don't seem to wanna come off the connectors. Is there a specific tool needed. Also one of the harnesses doesn't look to be seated all the way down. Has anyone else noticed this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I want to thank everyone that helped me with this problem I had. I finally pulled the TCM, went to the other car that I was mentioning and pulled the one off it. I installed it on my car and plugged everything back in. She started right up with the turn of the key and the CEL went out.

I have to say that this car drives and shifts better than it did the day I bought it. There is absolutely no grinding between shift like there was before. Totally different car. Thanks all for your help.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts