Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was swapping plugs yesterday where one plug had very brittle ceramic, and small bits fell into the cylinder. I vacuumed the bits out, and it seemed like I got all of them out. I put the new plugs in and it started up all good. Next day comes while I am commuting, it feels like a loss of power from the engine and my check engine light comes on. I hope that there wasn't remnants of the insulator in the cylinder. Where should I start. I think that the bits broke the new spark plug and is causing cylinder 1 not to fire. Please, any assistance will be a help!

I have the 2.0l DOHC zetec, it has 154,5xx miles...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was swapping plugs yesterday where one plug had very brittle ceramic, and small bits fell into the cylinder. I vacuumed the bits out, and it seemed like I got all of them out. I put the new plugs in and it started up all good. Next day comes while I am commuting, it feels like a loss of power from the engine and my check engine light comes on. I hope that there wasn't remnants of the insulator in the cylinder. Where should I start. I think that the bits broke the new spark plug and is causing cylinder 1 not to fire. Please, any assistance will be a help!

I have the 2.0l DOHC zetec, it has 154,5xx miles...
I am sure that the regular techs and wrenches will be replying shortly to your problem. I'm not familiar with your particular engine. That being said, in the meantime, double check to ensure that your plug wires are all seated properly in the holes and down firmly on the plugs. If they are all good then get a code reader or use yours if you have one and pull the codes that were set by the CEL. You may also try to pull the plug(s) again, being extra careful with the one that you think may be fouled by ceramic remnant pieces in the piston hole. I REALLY hope that you are wrong in thinking you left some pieces in the hole. If you left pieces in the hole and they have damaged the piston/cylinder you could be in serious drama from this point forward.

Start with the simple stuff and keep us posted. Others will chime in soon!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I plan on pulling the new plugs and running the code shown by the check engine light. Hopefully it is just debris stuck in the o2 sensor or an easy fix. The plug that broke I cleaned up with the vacuum, but since there is open air between the spark plug sockets it vacuumed into another open spark plug socket and into that cylinder. I vacuumed it out for a good hour with a shop ac and got it down into the hole. I really don't want to take off the head if I don't have to. I don't have a garage and work on my stuff in my driveway. I will baby it home from school and check It out.

Edit: it didn't make any sounds either, it fired up normal, it just felt odd. Just bit more rough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure that the regular techs and wrenches will be replying shortly to your problem. I'm not familiar with your particular engine. That being said, in the meantime, double check to ensure that your plug wires are all seated properly in the holes and down firmly on the plugs. If they are all good then get a code reader or use yours if you have one and pull the codes that were set by the CEL. You may also try to pull the plug(s) again, being extra careful with the one that you think may be fouled by ceramic remnant pieces in the piston hole. I REALLY hope that you are wrong in thinking you left some pieces in the hole. If you left pieces in the hole and they have damaged the piston/cylinder you could be in serious drama from this point forward.

Start with the simple stuff and keep us posted. Others will chime in soon!

Cheers!

Mike
Update: it was a misfire in cylinder 1. I pulled the plugs and checked the cables, and put it all back together. It seemed as the opposite end of the wire of the spark plug, where it plugs into a base, came loose and wasn't causing the cylinder to fire. ALL GOOD NOW!

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
Should be. Any pieces left in should have shown like the instant engine started, the longer you went engine running in seconds and minutes after that startup the less chance those pieces are there to damage.............take a lesson there. That is one of the easiest ways to destroy an engine there is, and why I always airblow out the plug ports completely before I ever pull a plug. You'd be amazed at all the rocks that get chucked up in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should be. Any pieces left in should have shown like the instant engine started, the longer you went engine running in seconds and minutes after that startup the less chance those pieces are there to damage.............take a lesson there. That is one of the easiest ways to destroy an engine there is, and why I always airblow out the plug ports completely before I ever pull a plug. You'd be amazed at all the rocks that get chucked up in there.
I spent an hour using the shop vac, I feel i got it out. Thanks! It cracked when i was taking it out so i was able to vaccum it out. But since there is an open air hole between the ports for the plug, the vaccum force caused it to suck up over into the other hole. I got it out though

·
Registered
221 Posts
Whoo, dodged a large bill there!

Glad you got it figured out bud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts