Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be adding any essential parts. I don't know if the all CAI have the same results, as well as the racing chip, exhaust, throttle body,

So Far with the parts that I have had, it greatly reduced my mpg by 10... those parts consists of cosworth's d1 and d2 kits.

any advice would be most appreciated.

with the price of gas going up, i think it would be really smart to do this.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
296 Posts
HP = $$, part of that including gas money.

HP is not free and to go faster, you need to use more gas. Put it this way, Ford has engineered the motor you have to get the best MPG. When you start upping the HP on there, you are going to need more fuel, or higher octane.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I beg to differ, I have consistantly gotten in the mid 30's on the freeway and my car is very heavily modifed.

·
Registered
759 Posts
%2 increase in effiency for every 100 pounds you lose or
33% increase in effiency if you drive moderatly

^^^ there was an article on this in "super street" magazine

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hexx said:
HP = $$, part of that including gas money.

HP is not free and to go faster, you need to use more gas. Put it this way, Ford has engineered the motor you have to get the best MPG. When you start upping the HP on there, you are going to need more fuel, or higher octane.
i must 100% disagree. Ford has completely engineered the motor around having zero evaporative emissions and being clean as possible, and if sacraficing gas milage is due, it must be done. Mostly to keep Nox down the car runs richer, a lot richer which kills mileage.

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm
check out this link i am looking in to some of this stuff as well as a few other FF's the other thing is how do you drive ??and i have seen a little gain in mpg for the mods i have done but the focus dosent respond to perf. mods with mpg gains like the cars from the 60s-90s it is all in that program you have if you find anything out let me know mpg is my biggest motive for the car

·
Registered
15 Posts
If we think cost effective for a second... lets say you do a a mod that gets you 1% better gas mileage. That means that on a full tank of gas you might get an extra 5 miles. (Not even really, but lets go with that number for a second...) So in 6 tanks of gas you've saved one single gallon. (at 30mpg) So you save $3 every 2,000 miles. So in 100k miles you've saved yourself $150 from that mod. Now, if you've spent more then $150 on that mod, it didn't save you a dime over the long haul.

Now... getting back to what mods specifically might help... we have to think about how we can make the engine more efficient. (Not necessarily breath better.) Weight reduction will certainly help. Talk to the drag-race guys for the best ways to accomplish this. One way to do this without sacrificing comfort would be to only ever fill up from empty with 5 or 6 gallons or less. Reducing rotating mass will help even more... like a light weight flywheel, light weight rims & tires, light weight pulleys, light weight crank shaft, pistons & rods, and probably THE only cost effective mod for this purpose... the balance shaft delete. Oh, and an under-drive pulley would also improve mileage.

Some non-weight related options are... higher gearing and higher compression. The catch to higher compression is the requirement of higher octane. So you'll need to try to figure out if the difference in mileage is worth the difference is fuel cost. Tuning for fuel mileage will help, as will not using the air conditioner. For that matter, you could completely remove the air conditioning system for a mileage benefit from several facets. If you could find a way to make the Focus more aerodynamic that would help too.

That's about all the possible ways that exist to get better mpg. However almost none of those options would justify the upfront expense with longterm savings.

Best wishes

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you really think about it, when u have more power, u don't step on it as much to get the same result. Therefore, u get better mileage....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
FocusFreak87 said:
If you really think about it, when u have more power, u don't step on it as much to get the same result. Therefore, u get better mileage....
to a certain extent... If you have to downshift and pass a car on a hill, you can watch the fuel guage needle move...

keep in mind, there are some old economy cars that get 30+ mpg.... however, they only have like 60-80 hp...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You know what i don't like, sometimes the needle on my guage will stay on full for 40 miles. Then within the next 20 miles it'll go down to almost the 3/4 mark....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Not even close...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
If you have a manual..use the shift light. If you have a 2.3 litre, shift at 2500 RPM's because your car can handle it with all that useable torque. If you do that, you will be at 5th gear from 40 MPH and up. That should get you to your standard 25 MPG in the city. On the freeway the best way to get good mileage is to use cruise control at about 75 MPH. The cruise control on our cars is designed so that you can accelerate and decelerate fairly easily without using the throttle. If you get to a hill keep it at 75 MPH and drop it in 4th til you have enough power. With a CAI and an exhaust your gas mileage should be about the same if not better than stock.

I find that I usually shift at 3700 RPMs and because of that my gas mileage is not as good as it could be.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Turbovation- you can do the same thing with the D20. I get 30-34 in town depending on AC usage. Of course, southern cities are not like western or northern, but it's pretty cool getting nearly the same mileage as I do on the highway.

Oreo- you could've just said "give up, there's nothing you can do about it"

FordBlue72- that's good driving advice. I know how to drive fast, but it makes me giggle every time some goofball blasts past me, and then I'm beside him at the light. This happens more than the times when they make it and I sit.

JC_5254= dude.. correct me if I'm wrong, but D1 & 2 contain: CAI, TB, intake manifold, camshafts, and header. So what you did was increase the how much air and fuel your motor can pull in and push out so it could make more power. What you're missing is what could help you increase your fuel economy some: higher compression pistons, lightweight flywheel, and lightweight wheels. If you're using high octane fuel- stop, unless Cosworth's literature recommends it. If you decide to stop anyway, then change your plug to a colder plug. Check out FordBlue's website that shows some better driving techniques, and you can also try Lucas upper cylinder lube to see if that will provide a tiny amount of additional ring seal/compression/mpg. Or since you've already spent so much money, get some 11.5:1 pistons or better and an aluminum flywheel- install, have the motor tuned, and you should get more mpg on premium.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts