Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 05 ST with 144.567 miles and stock battery. This morning the battery light came on. (i know i need to replace it) then the abs and brake and traction light came on...I turned if off and was dead so i jumped it and drove a mile then EVERYTHING on the dash was not working no speedo and then car died again.Im going to get a battery but could this be a alternator problem as well? Thanks Steve

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The battery light is not a battery light. The light that looks like a battery is a voltage issue light. It just has a picture of a battery because most drivers wouldn't understand the problem if it was a picture of the alternator, which is most likely your culprit.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Try holding in your trip reset with the ignition off. keep holding it in and turn the car on. It should get you into diagnostice mode. Scroll through until you see your voltage. It should read steady between 12 and 13. Anything else and you know what you are looking at as a problem.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It should bring up numbers where your trip mileage normally is. Hitting the trip button will then scroll through screens. Once you hit the one that is two digits and a decimal, you'll know you're in the right place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
r 19
nr 1 9
ee 3
dt 68
hr bf8
cf 1-e0
dtc 900
dtc 9318
e 0
59 10
T 69 (goes between 72)
t9 257
F 12
fp 85
f9 539
100 c
c9 523
bat between 11 and 12
anO 14
an1 73
an2 0
an3200

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Bat between 11 and 12. Your alternator isn't putting out enough juice.

They are a pretty big PITA to change, but they are doable.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Alternator.

Exact same thing happened to me. Inspect wiring going to alternator as well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would check your battery first just to be sure. Your local auto parts store will do this free and check your alternator. This happened to me just recently and it was just the battery.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That sux. Sorry to hear it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks....alternator and battery and install will cost 375 so its not to bad but its 375 I didnt wanna spend. thanks for all the help guys...This forum Rocks and very friendly. I should get a new belt as well right?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so I ordered an alternator from Autozone (mistake) I wasnt sure if it was california emission or fed...The guy there looked under the hood and told me it was california so they ordered it tue came it Today so i went to have it put in and it was the wrong one.. call them and they blamed it on me for buying the wrong one..I should have a new one tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts