Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 focus ses. This morning car wouldn't start. Traced issue to the radio suppression compasiter was grounding out on head causing pcm fuse.to short. Got compasiter replaced and checked all fuses. Car started first try with new issue. Wrench light and check engine light are both on. Attempted to drive it to the local autozone to check codes but car has no power. I suspect it's in limited power mode. Sounds horrible with no power and running very rough. Needless to say I didn't make it to parts house. Don't wanna risk detonation. Feels like it's cutting the fuel out possibly. Any ideas for someone with limited tools? Car has 208k

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I'm leaning towards the codes that are setting the engine light off as the cause of such rough running and power loss. Is it possible that disconnecting the battery for 15 mins could reset the lights to.test my theory?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
When troubleshooting your original problem did you leave something unplugged? Or did you put something in the wrong place maybe?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reset the battery ground off and a jumper from hot to ground cable. It turned the engine light off but did not get it out of limp power mode. Was hoping it would do a full reset but even after 10 min idle and 40 min normal driving it still is in limp power mode with wrench light on. I've triple checked all connections. Really not a good time of the yr for a trip to the dealer

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You can try doing a self diagnostic through the radio menu. That will show you any DTC that are present on the system without needing a scanner.

With key “on” turn on your am/fm radio and press and hold the 3 & 6 preset buttons until the audio test starts. Use the menu to select view codes (or whatever it says) and any current codes will be displayed. Then google the codes or post them here to see where your issues might be.

Since you reset the system...... it may not show any codes now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi just tried it was cleared. Also cleaned throttle body and tried reset again tonight. With no luck. As I was wrapping up because of lack of light I noticed water dripping from tail pipe with what looked like a small amount of oil. It's not a lot of water. I checked the oil which isn't milky as well as the coolant reservoir which is oil free. I know some water is normal and no reason for concern but with the other symptoms I'm thinking may have a blown head gasket?
Car does have a fswerks 2.5 race exhaust on it could this cause additional water from tailpipe?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
If it was a blown HG, then you'd be seeing steam out your exhaust. These motors really don't have any HG issues. Your exhaust system has nothing to do w/ water.

·
FF Affiliate
30,612 Posts
Hi just tried it was cleared. Also cleaned throttle body and tried reset again tonight. With no luck. As I was wrapping up because of lack of light I noticed water dripping from tail pipe with what looked like a small amount of oil. It's not a lot of water. I checked the oil which isn't milky as well as the coolant reservoir which is oil free. I know some water is normal and no reason for concern but with the other symptoms I'm thinking may have a blown head gasket?
Car does have a fswerks 2.5 race exhaust on it could this cause additional water from tailpipe?
Very common this time of year to see water out of the tail pipe , its condensation and the black is the soot from inside the Exh pipe

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi sorry so long for the update. So after much diagnosis I was able to track the issue back to a faulty new radio suppression compasiter. The new one was shorting out quiet a few fuses every time the ignition was place in on position. Blew the fuses 3 times before I figured it out. Installed another new RSC again and replaced all fuses. Good as new. Thanks for the help everyone was much appreciated.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Hi sorry so long for the update. So after much diagnosis I was able to track the issue back to a faulty new radio suppression compasiter. The new one was shorting out quiet a few fuses every time the ignition was place in on position. Blew the fuses 3 times before I figured it out. Installed another new RSC again and replaced all fuses. Good as new. Thanks for the help everyone was much appreciated.
Great you got it figured out.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts