Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm new to the forum this is my first post, so I'm sorry if I'm posting in the washing my car section lol. My Ford Focus has 131,000 miles and about 5k miles ago it started idling rough. It would drop down and die on its own, well I replaced the TPS and that fixed it for the time being, but low and behold it came back! now what it's doing, is if I leave it parked all night and go out in the morning to start it for work it will rev all the way up to 5000 for about 4 minutes then it will go back to normal then when I get in it to leave for work and Im driving down the road if I'm in 4 gear pulling say, 3000 rpm and I shift to neutral it will rev almost all the way to 5k and stay there till I make a complete stop, if I'm staionary sitting still not moving at all I can rev it up and the RPM's will fall back as normal but of I'm moving even just a little they will stay high at 5K and I just replaced my TPS again yesterday it's doing the same thing! Also if I ride the RPM's down to 1400 while I'm 5th it'll idle back down, but if I hit the gas pedal it will go all they back up to 5K! PLEASE HELP!!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Sounds like you could have a stuck throttle body, may want to give it a good cleaning as thats some good mileage and could get dirty with build up.

Also its a forum here, so people will reply as they see it, not an instant answer like google.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I'm always on the atv forums and I can usually go the new post and I'll be able to see my post, but on this forum I can't see my post on the new post. that's why I put the dots too see if it would bring it back up. It still didn't bring it back up. But I guess that's how this forum is Lol

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Ahh gotcha, yeah in the top right hand corner it says "my account", click on that, then on the left a little ways down says "my subscriptions", thats where you would find your posts.

It used to be how you said but they changed it.

But check the TB, leaks in the hoses maybe are causing it, shouldn't be the coil pack. Some other members will see this soon enough and probably know better than me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thank you for telling me that! I've been trying and trying to figure out how to see my post! Lol I wondered if it even posted haha! Thanks for the clearifacation! And I'll check that when I get home! Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Which engine type?

For starters, I would clean the MAF and the throttle body (TB). Might clean the IACV too. I had a tiny piece of rubber in my IACV that was sticking the IACV plunger and doing some funny idle-hold cruise-control stuff. It also did one 4 or 5K rpm hang-up that freaked me out. I was happy and lucky to find that tiny piece of rubber inside the IACV. I also sprayed a tiny bit of silicon spray inside the IACV on the plunger seal.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

Moved Marde's post here & deleted duplicate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's fixed now!!i can finally shift into neutral whenever I feel like like it!! I started yesterday by changing
#1 spark plugs
#2 spark plug wires
#3 fuel filter
#4 air filter
#5 spraying carb cleaner all around engine while running
#6 replaced mass air flow sensor
After all that I got in and test drove it, and it was idling even higher! Lol
Well I went to the auto parts store and got another TPS sensor and it ran just perfect! This now makes my 8th TPS sensor! Idk why it finally worked this time?? I've been installing everyone of them the exact same way! BUTTT needless to say it's fixed!! Thank for your help guys!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts