Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have recently purchased a Focus Mk 3 Estate, Titanium X, 2.0TDCI 160, 13 plate, 38k on the clock.

Lovely car, just getting used to it. However, one issue is causing me some concern, and I'd be grateful for collective views / wisdom / experience.

Once you reach 20mph a deep rumble becomes audible from the back of the car. It's hard to describe but it's not constant - it's like a deep throbbing sound with a louder and quieter phase - kinda something like 'whum whum whum' sound, if that makes sense - so I'm assuming it's associated with the rear wheel(s) going round. It's particularly noticeable on smooth surfaces but that's because there's less other road noise. Below 20mph it's not really there / just coming on, and above 25mph the deep sound disappears but becomes replaced by a more constant thrumming sound which is definitely audible at motorway speeds.

My initial assumption was bearings. However it passed its MOT in November with no mention of that. I recently had it at my local garage to specifically check rear bearings and potentially replace but they supposedly did all their usual checks and couldn't find any issue with the rear bearings - though didn't really suggest what else it could be.

It doesn't sound / feel like brakes, though I could be wrong. Could it be tyres? The car has 235/40 R18 95Y tyres - these are the largest wheels / thinnest tyres I've ever had on a car so I'm not really used to them and whether they would normally make more noise anyway (some people have suggested that they might), but in my mind wouldn't explain the intermittent / rotational nature of the rumble?

So I'm a bit flummoxed! Has anybody else experienced / resolved this? Very grateful for pointers.

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moderators - very sorry, this was posted in the wrong forum - please delete. I have reposted it in the Mk3 forum where I intended to put it. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts