Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

At 122K miles now I think that it is time to change my timing belt, water pump (while I am in there) and also the serpentine belt. My local Ford Dealer says "go with this belt - it should work for you" !!! He handed me a 988Z-6268-B2A Ford branded belt that is labeled as having been made in Italy. I did not leave there with a basket full of confidince based on what was said to me when he handed me the belt. Another Ford dealer would not tell me the part number over the phone, he wanted me to buy the belt to get the part number - although I do not know why. Whatever happened to customer service! Yikes.

Can anybody verify that I have the right timing belt for my application? Thanks for your time guys & gals!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The part number is, according to my parts list, for a 2004.
2000-2003 used part number F8CZ-6268-AA.
The different belt part numbers/sizes are because either a 47mm or 60mm idler pulley was used, I think. So I think you could use the later belt with your car providing you use the corresponding idler pulley size. Not positive though.
A lot of the "timing belt kits" give you both pulleys. Replacing the belt without doing the idler pulley and tensioner would be unwise so buying a kit would cover all possibilities.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hi Guys,

At 122K miles now I think that it is time to change my timing belt, water pump (while I am in there) and also the serpentine belt. My local Ford Dealer says "go with this belt - it should work for you" !!! He handed me a 988Z-6268-B2A Ford branded belt that is labeled as having been made in Italy. I did not leave there with a basket full of confidince based on what was said to me when he handed me the belt. Another Ford dealer would not tell me the part number over the phone, he wanted me to buy the belt to get the part number - although I do not know why. Whatever happened to customer service! Yikes.

Can anybody verify that I have the right timing belt for my application? Thanks for your time guys & gals!
This belt is for SVT, it's a bit stronger and will work, using it in mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the 60mm idler pulley on my 2002 DOHC Zetec and the 988Z-6268-B2A seems to fit about as snug as the original belt did before I removed it so it seems like the correct belt. I asked one of our local Ford dealer parts guys and he said 988Z-6268-B2A was for the 2002-2004 DOHC Zetec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts