Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my drive belt has come off and upon further inspection noticed the water pump pulley is very loose someone has said the bearings have gone on the back of the pulley.
now questions is do i:
1)replace the water pump
2) replace the pulley
3) replace both pump and pulley

i hate going to garages as most of the time they see a woman coming a try to take the piss!

please help
thankyou

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
FIRST let's get this into General Tech Chat as it's own thread, rather than a post in a random chat thread.

Now, unless the pulley has come unbolted -looseness there means new water pump time as someone told you.

And the belt prob. needs replacement due to damage when it came off.

Unless done recently, that's the time for a new tensioner & idler pulley so you don't have trouble with the new belt again (looking at age of the car).

Everything else driven by the belt needs a quick check while it's off, prob. be a long time before that's off for a check again.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^^this.

I know what you mean. I've gotten all kinds of ridiculous crap from garages who think because I have two X chromosomes I must not know anything about cars.

You were smart to come here to double-check. Lots of knowledgeable people like above who don't mind sharing. I've learned all kinds of useful stuff.

Tensioner and idler pulleys are fairly cheap and are worth doing with the water pump if they've never been done, IMHO. The water pump should come as an assembly with the pulley already installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts