Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way into work today I played with the "manual mode" today. I've driven in "sport" mode and found it to be okay.... (I've had several manual cars, FWIW, I know how to drive one).

It was pretty fun, I have to admit. I assumed it would be more of a novelty.

It will up shift on it's own JUST before I do and I found myself going up two gears on accident at times. Also, shifting is a little slow so you have to anticipate when you want it to actually shift and do it slightly sooner than you would a true manual.

Anywho, just sharing my surprise that it works pretty well and is more fun than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When are you shifting? I typically shift at the following RPMs

1>2: 3000
2>3: 2750
3>4: 3000
4>5: 2250

and you're right, I hit the shifting button about 250 RPM before the actual RPM I want to shift at because of that delay. Granted, it's not going to break anything if you shifted "late" due to the delay in button>action, but it's just something you eventually get used to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When are you shifting? I typically shift at the following RPMs

1>2: 3000
2>3: 2750
3>4: 3000
4>5: 2250

and you're right, I hit the shifting button about 250 RPM before the actual RPM I want to shift at because of that delay. Granted, it's not going to break anything if you shifted "late" due to the delay in button>action, but it's just something you eventually get used to.
When just tootling around I probably shift lower than that. I was being sporty on the way in today and wasn't watching the RPMs at all. Just going on feel as I would a standard trans.
I'll keep an eye on the way home since now I'm curious.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drive in the "Shift Mode" by default. I've found that if you accidentally double upshift (when the RPMs rise to about 6500, it'll upshift automatically) you can quickly hit the downshift button and it won't go up twice.

I'm pretty sure that the DCTs in Foci can't skip gears, so before it engages, for example, fourth gear when you were in second, it has to go through third gear, so if you can catch it before it passes third, it'll stay there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have experienced the "double shift" as well. It is when I'm taking it to close to red line and seems to be caused by that rather lengthy delay between button press and gear change. By the time the car registers that I pressed up it has already shifted up on its own and then gets my input and shifts again.

Down shifts are much much faster. If the ups were as quick I would drive sport manual more often. That and if it had paddles....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I only ever drive my in automatic mode if im trying to multitask while driving 😅 ive got paddles which makes sport manual mode pretty fun for an auto

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only ever drive my in automatic mode if im trying to multitask while driving 😅 ive got paddles which makes sport manual mode pretty fun for an auto

How did you get paddles, swap out the steering wheel?

Not that that's a mod I'd do, sounds expensive, but curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
The only thing I hated about my manual mode is no matter how hard I try, it will never go over 5k tomorrow. Even though, the redline is 7k
Mine used to but i continued driving it and now i can get it to go all the way to 6500 but sometimes the whole car will buck on the shift and the ones after..i have a feeling i get too much air

·
Registered
236 Posts
How did you get paddles, swap out the steering wheel?

Not that that's a mod I'd do, sounds expensive, but curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Came with the 2015 sport model. Only reason i compromised with an auto when i couldn't find a manual with the right options since they were a brand new model that year

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
My car is tuned so it will hold the gear in sport mode unless I hit redline and then it shifts itself. I kind of like that though. When you are wanting to get on it you can put it in manual mode and just let it shift itself at redline. Gives you

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can somebody please tell me what to do when coming to a quick stop on this car while in manual mode! A real manual I put it in neutral but this car the D is in front of the manual which sucks! But when downshifting I noticed it will stack shift down... should I let the car shift down on it's own or what! I feel like I'm hurting it when downshifting cuz it makes a clunk noise.. what to do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can somebody please tell me what to do when coming to a quick stop on this car while in manual mode! A real manual I put it in neutral but this car the D is in front of the manual which sucks! But when downshifting I noticed it will stack shift down... should I let the car shift down on it's own or what! I feel like I'm hurting it when downshifting cuz it makes a clunk noise.. what to do?
Yes, just leave the car shift down on its own - I found this is best. Because of the delay between pressing the button and it shifting, I could never get smooth manual downshifting. I only tried manual mode because I wanted to see if I could get better mileage than automatic mode (D), which seemed to wait kind of long (~3000 RPM) before shifting up. I was shifting when it just got past 2000 RPM. But it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the mileage (did this with 2 or 3 tanks worth). I do put it in neutral when coming to a stop light to take pressure off of the clutch (in theory at least). Interesting if I listen close, I can here it downshifting as I slow down to a stop even with it in N (at least that's what I think I am hearing).

Now I just leave it D and cause it to shift up by just slightly backing off of the gas when the RPM gets high enough (2000-2500), then get back on the gas (but not too hard because it will just shift back down), though many times it is stubborn about going into 6th (still shift to N before stops). Kind of a fun challenge to get right, though I would have preferred a manual - Titaniums didn't come that way (at least for 2018) and the wife preferred an automatic (can't drive stick), something she didn't like about my 2002 ZX5. Having a manual never bothered me, even in stop and go traffic. For me a manual was like walking, I didn't think about all the steps involved, I just drove (and I kind of miss it - the DCT manual mode is not the same, which I don't bother with it anymore). I didn't know about the DCT problems when I got it (my bad), but so far (15k+) it has been flawless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts