Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching on other forums and in here and also you tube and it seems this stuff works ok..What are you thoughts focus community?Anybody every play around with this stuff?..How does it hold up on rims, car interior ,Grilles, anything..I might do my rims sometime this summer..But before i need to know how this works and holds up and for how long..It just seems cheaper for now to do this then jumping into buying new rims anytime soon..Thanks..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have used it on tools, but never car parts. I am not sure it would hold up that well. It is somewhat rubbery, and you can easily peel it off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tried blacking out the plastic parts of my interior with it one time. It didn't work at all well. Any place where it got scratched would cause huge amounts of pealing. I ended up removing all of it with just my hands and bought impact resistant epoxy paint and haven't had any problems with that. I actually painted my rims with the epoxy stuff and they have lasted 2 years of me driving tons of gravel roads at high speeds with only some minimal scratching.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys for responding.Yeah ive seen it done in the you tube videos but wasnt to quite sure of how long it lasts..I dont have a budget right now for new rims so i was thinking of either painting them or this platidip stuff..Just a quick fix on some 6 year old rims..Ill be looking for some new rims in the near future but not now.Does anybody know how to paint the chrome lip on the rim? I seen some how to's on paint rims but nothing on paint the chrome lip on them..These rims i have are in ok shape and no scratches or curb checks..But the clear is coming off..Is there a fix for this?..Anybody know how to prep the chrome lip?..Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive used this on wheels, bumpers, and grills. Held up nice. Never had a problem. Have pics if anyone is interested. Ill post them here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did this to my 06 Civic wheels. (Traded her in)

Painted my 08 STIs hood scoop. (current car)

And my wifes 05 Ford Ranger. Bumper and Grill.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long has it held up nuffy?.Can you run your ride through a car wash?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh yea it held for a while. And yes ive ran it through car washes and haven't had a problem. All ive been doing is cleaning the area really well with soap and rubbing alcohol and adding 3-4 coats of plasti dip. And yet the removing process is easy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks on your quick response..Im thinking of doing my rims.Im tired of the lip they have.And of course no budget to buy new rims.So i might try this soon.You tube was helpful on this topic.Ill just do them till i can afford new rims and tires..Thanks 11BNuffy..Oh one more question..How did you wash your rims when you had this on your civic rims? thanks..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just take a water hose gun to them and just gently use micro rags. Not much to it. Just make sure you are really gentle with them. With the right about of coats they should last you months. My civic rims survived all of winter in Kansas. And they also have different colors. I plan to start working on the focus as my next project.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kool Deal .Thanks for the info.[thumb]

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I did a set of chrome Enkei's that lasted through a New England winter with no problems. Right now, my bodykit is all done with PlastiDip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Pic Terry of the motegi's..I have thee exact same ones on my car right now..And that dang aluminum lip bothers me now.After having them for 6 years i think they need a change..lol.Im gonna give it a shot,,Thanks terry..

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Glad you noticed they were Motegi's. That's what I meant, not the Enkei's. Those were black in the middle when I bought them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it seems as though your set on the plastidip if you want to actualy paint the rims insted of just this temporary fix to prep the lip a brillow pad or scotch bright works then primer and paint and clear and your done

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I started to strip my Motegi's to sell them soon. This stuff is quite durable. I had to use a powerwasher to get most of it. It would have taken hours to peel by hand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it is useful when you have part you dont want scratched or parts you dont want to get dirty

just peel it off and re paint

1 - 19 of 19 Posts